• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Do you really ever "need" another?

gdrill

Reaction score
Or should you get it just because of what it is? I have a friend who has a car he will not be building. He has considered selling it but doesn't want the hassle of Kijiji or E-bay. He doesn't deal well with dreamers. Anyway he knows I like metal work and can save this car so he approached me with a proposition. I have a 1988 Dodge short box V6 auto, that I am selling. I also have a cool little 1971 Scamp, (buckets, console 8 3/4 factory). His car is a 1970 Challenger RT, Plum Crazy, 383 auto (long gone), 8 3/4 diff, leather interior and I don't recall what else. It has build sheet and fender tag, beautiful grill, nice rally dash, rad, the seats are there to, exhaust tips, fenders, workable hood and a few other goodies. It's pretty well complete. Of course, it's from Alberta so it needs rust repair, floors, quarters, but not really any worse than my current build. So he is thinking of doing some form of trade where no money changes hands and we each get all the related parts for the vehicles involved. Granted, I love my little Scamp as I saved it from fading away, but since I built it, I don't drive it that much. I like building more than driving I guess. He wants a little truck to run around and would convert the Scamp to a Dart, I already sold him a 4 door with everything he needs for that. He sent me a pic of the sheet, but I don't know all the code spots, so being a bit blurry, I can't figure out what it all is dressed with. I already have a 71, but the damn thing is a purple 70! How can a guy pass on saving that? The car is actually being stored on my property so I don't even have to haul it home. Can anybody give me a rough value of this? I am seriously considering this trade.

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

340challconvert

Reaction score
Projects in my experience range from about 5k up through about 15K
This one minus the drive train, but with most of the parts I think would probably be worth 7-10 k on the top end: depending on the condition of the parts coming with the car.
If there is extensive metal work to be done, I would guestimate the 7k range.
Just basing this on what I have seen for the money.
Having the build sheet and fender tags would make it better of course. It also looks like someone converted it to a 4sp?
Dino2 (1).gif

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
R/T's are hard to find. There's really nothing to think about IMHO. Alberta rust is much easier to deal with than eastern rust too. Do the deal before Christmas so you both get a nice present. Project values are whatever someone will pay, maybe $6-$8k? Maybe more, it's really hard to say. It sounds like he would be happy with a trade I would sure go for it. If you change your mind later you can call me!

Sheldon

gdrill

Reaction score
Thank you guys. You are estimating in USD, so that makes it a little better up here, actually a lot better. I was thinking a little less, but I really have no idea. Yes someone did a 4spd conversion, but that stuff is gone now. As you can see it was a pretty rough job to say the least! A white top? It has black on it, but obviously that was changed. It does have a black leather interior. I agree, the RT's are getting fewer and further between. That is why I actually thought about his offer. Obviously I have my hands full already, but it can sit for a while and it won't get any worse. I will probably do this, and once I get home from work (next year sometime!) I'll get some better pics of the sheet and condition.
Thanks again

jeff968

Reaction score
Black leather is correct (HRX9). Also has light package (A01), basic group (A04), Rally dash (A62), open rear (non sure grip).

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
I wouldn't give more than 3-4K for that. In that condition they aren't worth squat IMO. Completely done (and done well) and driving is when they are worth a lot. If it was easy and cheap to restore them, these "projects" wouldn't be sitting around in everybody's garages. But everyone wants to sell theirs for "big money" because they see the prices for completed cars.

For instance, if that project is worth 10k, then my complete running driving matching numbers '70 R/T SE must be worth 100k in comparison. Just my opinion.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Projects in this condition require someone with a high level of skills who is capable of doing a lot of the labor themselves with the budget to purchase needed parts, or someone with an unlimited pocketbook (no one I know) that can just pay to have the difficult work done.
Either way it is a labor of love, and unless the car is a very limited production model, it is difficult to recoup the cost of a full blown restoration.
Even doing up a Challenger as a driver gets expensive.
I'm glad (and jealous) that there are people out there with the skills, money and determination to pull off an extensive restoration.
Good luck and the best wishes with whatever you choose to do in the trade!
Dino2 (1).gif

gdrill

Reaction score
Well, it's a done deal. We came to an agreement and I now own a purple 70. Probably the main reason I had real interest in the car is I have been trying to find a 70 something for a long time to build as that is the year the wife was born. I have ended up all around it with 71's and 69's, but this is the first 70 that has fit the bill. I found a little more detail and it definitely will be less work than my 71, and it's mostly complete, minus engine and trans. All in all, we are both very happy with the trade. My little Scamp will now become a 70 Dart.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Good luck with it. By the sound of things, its found a good home.

And you're going to have to keep us updated on your progress. Lots of pics required.

gdrill

Reaction score
Thank you. LOL, I'll keep ya'll posted. But it will be a few weeks until I'm back home to even get another look at it! I am picture happy though and will definitely start a build thread once she moves into the shop. If nothing else, I think most of us just like seeing other people's cars in the works. I know I do. I have learned a lot reading these build threads.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Congrats! I'm happy for you. It sounds like your wife is going to have herself a purple Challenger.

gdrill

Reaction score
Thank you Matt. You are right. The worst part is I really actually like white with black accents, so there may have to be another in the future!

gdrill

Reaction score
Well, I'm home and had a bit of a look at the car. Not real good though, it's cold and I am making space for it in the shop. I decoded the sheet and couldn't figure out why someone would make a car with a white top and a black longitudinal stripe. It just seemed weird. Well that's because what I thought was V6X is actually V5X. I now have 2 high impact color Challenger RT's with no side stripe and the molding instead! I'm not sure about my luck! It also only got the driver side outside mirror. It seems to be a pretty plain RT. This is the grill and it came with an NOS RT emblem.

IMG_4258[1].JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Does it have power windows? I think they're part of the A04 package. I also see ac but can't see the vents on the dash.

gdrill

Reaction score
I wish it had those options! No ac or electric windows. With the leather interior it's kind of like an RT/SE but it's not. Once I get it in the shop I'll get more pics and look for more details.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Does it have power windows? I think they're part of the A04 package. I also see ac but can't see the vents on the dash.

Yeah Matt, I thought that too at first from consulting GG's books. Then I looked at this data from HH.

70 Challenger A04 Option Group highlighted.jpg

Back