• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Does this look sloppy to you?

Stereolab42

Reaction score
Coming over from FBBO, I'm now shopping for another car and am casually considering a Challenger. One car I'm looking at seems to have a misaligned door. The "crease" in the middle and the top of the door are down about 1/3" from where they meet the back of the body. The car is not local so I can only go by pics, but the sales guy says there is no sag here and it's all an illusion. He even took a new pic and claimed this. So who is smoking crack here, me or him?

I doubt this is fixable with a simple hinge adjustment and IMHO it's sloppy bodywork. I've included a pic of the opposite side which shows no such issue. Opinions? Would this be a "no-no" for you guys or is it within the tolerances of the era? (I did take a look at pics of many more restored Challengers on Hemmings and none of them had alignment issues here though.) Rest of the car seems great so I'm loathe to rule out a car based on one mistake, but it REALLY catches the eye, at least mine. I will NOT be pointed to and laughed at during car shows. (Yes, that was tongue-in-cheek. Mostly.)

1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack (10).jpg
1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack (9).jpg
614194364001.jpg
1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack (8).jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Just looks like the door needs some adjusting, see how tight left corner bottom is to the rocker. Beautiful car, IMO. Be nice to know if the quarter was replaced though. But, it wasn’t perfect from the factory either. I think tweekin the door (striker probably shows signs of drag) would help.

rklein71

Reaction score
I think the door just needs a minor adjustment. It looks like the front door gap is a little tighter on the bottom than on the top, and the fender adjustment on the bottom can be changed. It also looks a little tight on the right side above the rocker, although the rocker to door gaps are bad for a lot of e-bodies.
1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack-10-jpg.jpg

Stereolab42

Reaction score
Thanks. If it's just a hinge adjustment I have a body guy who can fix it in a day with his eyes closed. But I'll still probably pass on the car because it's overpriced for a tribute 440 six-pack. Man what is up with E-body pricing...

rklein71

Reaction score
E-body pricing, because they are perhaps the best looking Mopar there is...I wouldn't call mine a tribute, although it is going to have all the Cuda trim. I just like the Cuda trim.

IMG_0799.JPG

budascuda

Reaction score
E bodies are not the best looking mopar, come on.......
They are the best looking cars!

djais1801

Reaction score
because they're the sportier body style and only had a 4yr run? I may consider letting mine go

fasjac

Reaction score
Thanks. If it's just a hinge adjustment I have a body guy who can fix it in a day with his eyes closed. But I'll still probably pass on the car because it's overpriced for a tribute 440 six-pack. Man what is up with E-body pricing...

I would agree if he’s out the money range. For example, mine is a 73 cuda with a 500 stroker six pack and would not think of selling in the 30k range. You know what it takes to get these cars real nice.

Rob C

Reaction score
Sloppy? Not really. Most will miss it. Some will catch it. But the important thing is why it is that way and what can be done?

MoparMoMoney

Reaction score
I know it’s an old thread, but I was Google Boy today and had a question on my doors. Lower gap and it is inset at the rocker, looks nothing like I’ve ever seen before.
It is noticeable for us body guys. But, you adjust that and the fenders may need the same. Thats probably something to live with but I couldn’t.
Hope all worked out 3 years later.

Back