• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Driveshaft length.

ppimpinello

Reaction score
Hi everyone. 1970 cuda. I need help before I make another move. I just had a driveshaft built. The previous one was way too short. With the new one I just got I have 1 1/4” before the slip yoke bottoms out in the transmission, I know 3/4 to 1” is ideal but what is the limit. Is it worth taking back or is this fine

moparleo

Reaction score
Who measured the car for the driveshaft ?
What engine/trans/rear does it have ?

1969-1976-DRIVE SHAFT-SPECS.jpg

ppimpinello

Reaction score

View attachment 99993
I told him 43.6 and he made it 43 1/8

View attachment 99993
I told him to make it 43.6 and when I got it back home I measured it and it’s 43 1/8 c-c. Doesn’t vibrate but I want it done right, I half ass nothing on this car but if itll be fine I’ll leave it

moparleo

Reaction score
OK You gave him a measurement, but where did you get that number ?
Again, what engine/trans/dif are you running ? How can we know what is acceptable without knowing what you are running ? More details...
I posted the factory part numbers and dimensions. And here is a cart for doing your own, normally used on a custom application.
Dennys Driveshaft How to Measure Correctly Diagram B

ppimpinello

Reaction score
OK You gave him a measurement, but where did you get that number ?
Again, what engine/trans/dif are you running ? How can we know what is acceptable without knowing what you are running ? More details...
I posted the factory part numbers and dimensions. And here is a cart for doing your own, normally used on a custom application.
Dennys Driveshaft How to Measure Correctly Diagram B
I got the measurement from the chart above. 383, 8 3/4 727. Just want to know if 1 1/4 from bottoming out in the transmission is acceptable.

ppimpinello

Reaction score
I got the measurement from the chart above. 383, 8 3/4 727. Just want to know if 1 1/4 from bottoming out in the transmission is acceptable.
Ok so the whole story is this driveshaft guy came highly recommended. I told him to make it 43.6 c-c. I get it back home and it’s 43 1/8 🤦🏻‍♂️ I called him up, he told me it’ll work. From what I know the slip yoke is supposed to bottom out and be pulled back 1” and that’s where it should sit. Mine pulls back 1 1/4.

Last edited:

jt4406

Reaction score
In my humble opinion, it will be fine. These cars weren't built to within 1/4 inch in a lot of places. my .02 only. jt

heminut

Reaction score
None of all these charts and measurements and questions about who measured what answers his question.

Yes, it will work okay.

Back