• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dumbfounded

dkinworthy

Reaction score
Hello all,
I kinda got a bit of an Issue with an added 742 center section (stamped 1967). I started with a original open 741 in 1972 Dodge Challenger 318 2bbl. my Issue is that after I installed the 742 and Green Bearing Set, the left axle (drivers side) is 1/4" to long right side goes in with no problem. Both axles are 29 31/32" long 30 spline. I even went as far as to pre assemble the center section with the axles in to be sure the splines were in line both sides and all the way in. I have also checked the bearing/spacer bores to be sure something there was causing the issue.
So I stuck a 3/4" solid bar in and marked the bar at the face of the housing flange, what do you know! same spot I marked on the bearing... now, I was reading in the forums that prior tho 1964 the center pinion shaft sections were thicker. Does anyone know how much thicker, maybe this could be my problem? but only on the left side? or maybe something else? So many questions. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

RJH

Reaction score
Try installing the drivers side first to see if it goes in all the way . If so then install the passenger side( with bearing adjuster) if it doesn't go in all the way, you have 2 areas to look at . The bearing adjuster needs to be backed off so the axle seats fully and then adjust the bearing preload or the 2 little buttons that press into the center section are not fully seated , stopping one axle from being installed. Goodluck.

dkinworthy

Reaction score
Try installing the drivers side first to see if it goes in all the way . If so then install the passenger side( with bearing adjuster) if it doesn't go in all the way, you have 2 areas to look at . The bearing adjuster needs to be backed off so the axle seats fully and then adjust the bearing preload or the 2 little buttons that press into the center section are not fully seated , stopping one axle from being installed. Goodluck.
Thanks for the input but I have removed the thrust pin and still have the same issue with no axle in the right side side.
OH! my bad but I failed to mention this is with Green Bearings. Thanks Again for the help.

Last edited:

RJH

Reaction score
Are the bearings installed in the same spot on both axle shafts? and or the correct depth. Is it only one axle the doesn't fit the drivers side or both ? Check the depth of the axle seal in the housing to make sure its not interfering with the locking collar or the bearing.

dkinworthy

Reaction score
yup checked all of that. both axles are the same ( Note:if the bearings were not seated would that not make the axle shorter?)

dkinworthy

Reaction score
OK, I took it all back apart, pinion shafts are 1/2" thick- 1" overall (both together) could these be pre 1964 pinion shafts? wrong gears?

Last edited:

dkinworthy

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! If anyone happens to see Mr. Murphy Please tell him Thank You for the help!!!
( actually I dunno what happened, I took everything apart again ( for the 5th? time) and put it all back together again and now everything fits as it should. Thank You Mr. Murphy.

Back