• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E body hood hinges

douglas17

Reaction score
Has any one purchased a new set of hinges from AMD or Stephens Performance, they seem to be selling the same ones. Stephens is advertising the ones they have as AMD. The set I got from AMD, have Stephens Performance stickers on the package. The springs on these new hinges are made with material twice the diameter as originals. Just looking for some feed back if you may be using these hinges.

fasjac

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven’t. You don’t have springs for a TA or AAR by chance do you? Just asking because those are a lot lighter spring for the glass hoods. Just a thought.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I just bought OER hinges from Classic Ind. and they are almost identical to the original hinges. There on a 71 Cuda, but I wish hood would open further cause I keep hitting my head on the hood lock.

fasjac

Reaction score
Is the demissions of the hinge itself shorter? Or possibly the the hinge spring tension too tight...no need to bump the melon going under the hood.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I had same problem with original hinges. I never measured hood height, but putting hinges side by side were almost identical. Old hinges made it difficult to open hood and lube didn't seem to help any on the hinges.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I bought these hinges about 2-3 weeks ago and Classic had a 20-25% discount. Summit listed AMD hinges for $319. Now I see summit at $199, it seems like I never buy at the right time.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I recently bought Classic's OER hinges... nearly excellent quality... nice and tight on the car... T/A hood no longer loose (my old originals were chromed by me about 40 years ago... aged and worn). Just be sure you use the correct springs for your car's hood. During the installation by my body-shop friend, he did have to slightly grind some areas to make the T/A hood fit it perfectly, as well as to the engine bay inner fenders.

It wouldn't surprise me that there would be only manufacturer of these hinges... and everyone sources from that same manufacturer. I believe they are all produced in Taiwan... but not China, nor the USA.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster and a 71 Cuda as I talked about above. The Duster hood opens 33" from rad support and the Cuda hood only rises 26" above the rad support. That's why we keep hitting our head on that dam hook.

69hemibeep

Reaction score
Why not keep them original? RestoRick does an excellent job of rebuilding them.

tonysrt

Reaction score
I kept the originals, but a new set would have a faster turn around then having originals rebuilt.

57fury440

Reaction score
The 72 Barracuda we have was purchased new by me. Hitting your head on the latch has always been a feature. There is nothing wrong with the hinges.

Moparply

Reaction score
I have a NOS 72 73 74 Challenger Cuda hood hinge drivers side, real Chrysler new old stock from the 1970’s in mint condition. Less then a reproduction.

D8500CE9-6ED8-4363-89D6-8E143D88FAFD.jpeg

D84BAF44-6C4E-452D-A1A3-7F03615DFA7A.jpeg

Back