• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric choke

drewkins

Reaction score
I putting on a new carb that has and electric choke. And i was wondering what i should hook up the keyed power source to?

Merrill Davis

Reaction score
This must be a common problem and the explanations I have read are not that clear especially for those who are more challenged than others. I am reading do not hook it up to the coil. Holley makes it clear on this point. Where do you hook it up? Some say the sta on the alternator. Whatever that means. My fuse box is up under the dash and I am 6 foot 4 inches tall. It is difficult to squeeze under there and observe for awhile. Surely there is a better way.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Really pretty simple on most all old Mopars, but since you didn't want to tell us what you are working on, I'll just use my '70 Challenger R/T SE as an example.

I ground the choke to one of the screws on the body of the choke assembly. It is the BOTTOM short black wire curled underneath the choke assembly to the screw. The TOP black wire is the hot wire.

Like this.......
PB240001.JPG

Then I run the hot wire thru the firewall to the fuse block under the dash to the switched +12v terminal. It is the BLACK wire that connects to the bottom of the fuse block in the photo. All done.

Like this.......
PB240004.JPG

Last edited:

Merrill Davis

Reaction score
Now that is what I call an answer! I continued researching and attached the red wire to the FIELD post on the alternator. I fused it with a 10 amp fuse. I really appreciate the response. We could be friends. I have two 1972 Dodge Challengers (340 with Holley Carburetor double pumper) on one. I am having trouble with the linkage that allows the transmission to change correctly but have friends who are experts in this area.

First 72 Challenger.jpg

Dodge Challenger   Yellow.jpg

Merrill Davis

Reaction score
This must be a common problem and the explanations I have read are not that clear especially for those who are more challenged than others. I am reading do not hook it up to the coil. Holley makes it clear on this point. Where do you hook it up? Some say the sta on the alternator. Whatever that means. My fuse box is up under the dash and I am 6 foot 4 inches tall. It is difficult to squeeze under there and observe for awhile. Surely there is a better way.
Follow Up: Found out about the stator on the alternator. Pretty simple actually.

quapman

Reaction score
Why not use the blue wire with the female spade connector in the factory harness? It's hot when the key is on and is what fed the electric choke t-stat originally.

Where in the Triad are you, valkman? I'm in Asheboro.

Back