• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electronic Ignition Conversion

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda that has a 74 360 engine. When I bought the engine it had a points distributor. Does anyone have experience using the electronic conversion kit sold by Classic Industries? I'm not sure if the kit is from MOPAR, it looks like a MOPAR product. Or should I try a Pertronix Flame-Thrower? Any recommendations? Thanks

money pit

Reaction score
Stick with the Factory style conversion. Bullet proof and if you ever did have a defective part, every parts house sells factory replacement parts.
My concern with the system sold by Classic Industries, it may be a Chinese knock off. So I'm not sure if the parts would be available. Can the original distributors be rebuilt? Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Why not contact Roseville Moparts & get a discount on a Mopar kit

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I'm with Leo and Chryco on this;
Factory Electronic ignition conversion kit from Roseville and you get the club discount. You can even buy the kit parts individually. Factory reliability w a great price!
Distributor Electronic Conversion Kit Small Block 273,318,340,360 $189.00
electronicconversionkitsmallblock2733183403608057_6.jpg

Distributor Electronic Conversion Kit Small Block 273,318,340,3 | Roseville Moparts

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Their a nice kit with the performance advance curve built in. I just put 1 in a 73 Cuda 340. Kim

money pit

Reaction score
Rev-n-ator is a better ECU includin a rev limiter also available from Roseville
Is there a difference between the Proform system and the system sold by Jegs, Summit or Roseville? There is a big difference in price.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Yes. The MP kit is the better 1. Kim

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
Member wish4hemi sent a link (see above response) to an article from Mopar Connection. Proform is the licensed by mopar to build the conversion kits. JEGS sells both kits. Thanks

volunteer

Reaction score
For 'do it yourselfers' there are plenty of donor vehicles and/or misc. parts still out there. I cannot even give away my half-dozen factory LA electronic distributors. Yes, they all have different 'curves' but half the fun is calculating your own personal dynamic curve - starting with an 11 or 13 degree centrifugal dist. Okay. Not what you are asking, but if you get the complete MP kit, you are basically stuck with the (horrid) orange/blue module. As suggested, all the components are available thru parts houses and, may or may work out cheaper - - if you can 'build' your own distributor. One tip though, (if fabricating your own system) is to wire in a harness using 5-pin circuitry - yes, with dual ballast. This way, if a module was to fail, you can install either a 4 or 5-pin unit.

V02Barracuda

Reaction score
If you go with a Proform kit, then buy 2 and keep 1 in your trunk as a spare cuz you'll need it. I put a Proform kit in my Super Bee 2 years ago and the distributor crapped out last May. No good. Poor quality.
Go through Rick Ehrenberg. He sells quality kits through Ebay and his prices are VERY fair.

money pit

Reaction score
If you go with a Proform kit, then buy 2 and keep 1 in your trunk as a spare cuz you'll need it. I put a Proform kit in my Super Bee 2 years ago and the distributor crapped out last May. No good. Poor quality.
Go through Rick Ehrenberg. He sells quality kits through Ebay and his prices are VERY fair.
I though Proform was licensed by mopar to build the distributors. Do you know if the supply the kits that they sell at Roseville? I'll ck out the info you sent. Thanks

Back