• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

engine block (backside)

booyaballer

Reaction score
i am replacing the transmission (automatic to manual) on my 70 challenger. while the transmission is off, is there anything i should consider or need to do like maintananece while the engine's backside is exposed?

Thanks in advance

Rich G.

Reaction score
If there's freeze out plugs there I’d replace them depending on how old they are.

Rich G.

Reaction score
You mean pilot bearing. Not sure about that but now is the time to check

fasjac

Reaction score
Use a dial indicator on the bellhousing to check that the run out is in specs.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the tq converter sit in the recess at the back of the crank
4 spd requires a deeper hole in the rear of the crank & a pilot bushing
IIRC only the small block has freeze plugs inside the belhousing area at the rear of the block

Daves69

Reaction score
FWIW, what I found on a '68 440 AUTO crank and standard length input (not cut down) 4 speed...........
upload_2020-5-12_15-23-46.png

upload_2020-5-12_15-31-44.png

The crank has the necessary depth, but the .890" (green) diameter bore is too small for the .940" standard bushing.
Some auto cranks have only a shallow center drilled. Most will use the bearing mentioned above and shorten the trans input shaft.
This page describes that scenario.........
Mopar Big-Block A-Body 4-Speed Conversion

If one decides to drill the depth and diameters, take care to not drill too deep and open up an oil passage in the crank!

BTW, Torque the bell down to spec before you indicate it in.

Racer Dave

Reaction score
Is the throw out bearing that goes in the rear of the crank the same size between manual and automatic?
I was going to mention installing a pilot bearing, as engines equipped with an automatic from the factory don't have one.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
nor is the hole deep enough for a regular brass pilot but you can drill the hole deeper & use the Dakota roller brg

Racer Dave

Reaction score
Or (*wince*) cut the input shaft a half inch or so with a cutoff wheel and use the roller bearing.

fasjac

Reaction score
I once had a “4T440EHP” pulled from a charger out of the bone yard. Charger was an automatic trans. Don’t believe I was ever completely comfortable back in 1988 decoding the engine pad. Long story less painful, the pilot bushing installed perfectly. This engine had the skinny damper on it. And it was obvious that it had never been torn down. Just putting it out there.

Back