1. Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Compartment and Motor's all Finished

General Topics

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Well-Known Member

I can't stop starring at my motor. I figured I will post a few pics in the general sections in case anyone wanted to see it.

IMG_4563.JPG IMG_4564.JPG IMG_4565.JPG IMG_4566.JPG IMG_4571.JPG IMG_4570.JPG IMG_4569.JPG IMG_4567.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  2. jjklongisland

Sounds sweet too

• Like Like x 4
  3. DetMatt1

DetMatt1 Well-Known Member

The engine looks and sounds incredible, nice work! The only constructive criticism I have is you need to find a smooth upper rad hose and either paint the rest of the car black or change the engine room to red.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. jjklongisland

Thanks and couldn't agree more with both statements. The upper radiator hose thats on there is temporary. Using it to break in motor etc and now I know the correct length to order the replacement. With regards to painting the engine compartment I am on the fence on that one. I know purists have color matched engine compartments but this is more of a workhorse. She will be driven hard. I think a black engine compartment looks cleaner. She is going to get painted probably next year and will decide then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cuda Hunter

Cuda Hunter Well-Known Member

Looks great! I do agree with the color in the engine bay. Looks too Chevy to me like that. Not to be too "purist" and all. Color makes the motor pop. Sweet ride though!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. moparleo

moparleo Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice set-up. Ditto on the chevy look. Also black absorbs heat, not a positive in the engine compartment. Fluid leaks are harder to see and fix.. Black just looks like a spray can job. Not your fault, a common thing to do on other makes. Never Mopar. Tell us about the engine compartment goodies like the hydro-boost brake set-up. How do you like it, was it as easy install ?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mopar Mitch

Mopar Mitch Active Member

Engine looks nice.. and the rest, too! I'm right behind you... hoping to start my engine this weekend after 5-past years... bay redone, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. /sixchall

/sixchall Well-Known Member

You did a great job of cleaning up your engine bay. The guys are right in the purist scence. Chrysler has always painted the engine bay same as the outside. I figure whatever knocks your hammer in the weeds. If you look at it and it makes you happy then so be it. Maybe as long as you respray it sometime in factory color. I’m very happy with my engine bay even though it’s filled with Slant6. I did make sure it was the proper color. Thanks, Al

B6653F2B-2866-44E6-8673-2251CDAA9918.png

• Like Like x 3
  9. 340challconvert

340challconvert Well-Known Member

A lot of great looking resto-mod performance oriented additions under that hood!:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. jjklongisland

It is a spray can job... lmao. The runs were from the previous mediocre paint job. I just wanted to clean it up when I had the motor out. Next year body and paint.

Hydroboost was alot of fun. I could have just ordered a kit for $1000 but I felt I could do my own alot cheaper. The trickiest part is getting the length of the brake pedal rod correct. I have to adjust it because the pedal is too high for my liking. I added a power steering cooler since it was a cheap add-on. The brakes are extremely sensitive but work very well. It only cost me around $160 for a Chevy Astrovan reman unit from Rock auto and I made the mounting plate that mounts to the firewall. I like the look with the AN fittings.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. jjklongisland

Thanks. I just added up my parts list so far and I have a knot in my stomach but it is what it is. The smile on my face when she is running is priceless.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jjklongisland

So when I shot that video of the engine running it turned out I had zero timing in it. Finally figured out how to properly set the timing with the Sniper setup and a dual sync distributor. Now it has 12.5 degrees at idle and set to max out at 32 degrees. Learning how to tune her on the laptop is getting fun.

She sounds better in this video.

• Like Like x 1