• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Oil - What's In Your Pan?

wedg2go

Reaction score
Your thoughts on engine oil? That one brand you run and nothing else.

Whatcha running (Displacement - flat tappet - roller - cam - etc.)?
Brand of oil?
Viscosity?
Temperature in and around your area?
Pan capacity?
Filter?
And mileage, or months, to next change?

Just curious...Thanks in advance for your participation with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatcha running (Displacement - flat tappet - roller - cam - etc.) - 440 +.060 - six pack - all roller assembly - Stage III Mopar Performance Heads - Comp roller cam.
Brand of oil - Conventional Valvoline VR-1
Viscosity - 10w-30 till spring and 20w-50 till fall
Temperature in and around your area - I've seen -16 all the way to 95F. BTW, I have better places to be when it below 45F than out tooling around. Heated garage comes to mind!
Pan capacity - 7 qts + 1 for filter
Filter - PureOne or Bosch
And mileage, or months, to next change - never over 3k and or every six months (The latter is most likely).

dadeo1852

Reaction score
440 six pack .030 over, hyd flat tappet Hughes cam, cleaned up stock heads.
That'll be Brad Penn 20W-50
Same temps, -10° to 95° but car is stored Nov thru March so 30° to 95°.
7 quarts
Wix filter
Changed once a year.
IMG_20181119_155752767.jpg

tonysrt

Reaction score
I have a gen 2 hemi 472 and use Brad Penn, 3 qts. 10-30 and 4 qts. 20-50. Of course I have hydraulic lifters, can't afford rollers. I have over 10,000 miles on it and still runs like a Hemi.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I use Brad Penn as well. Freshly rebuilt 383, .030 over, mild cam and everything else is stock.
I run straight 30 in it because it only gets driven in one type of climate.
The 440 in my Imperial has a new top end roughly 10k miles ago but the bottom end has 156k miles on it and I run BP straight 40 in it.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Royal Purple HPS 10-30
512 cu.in
Roller rockers comp cam
Pro Comp heads
540HP
7qts RP filter
Changed once a year only put on 600+ miles a year

wedg2go

Reaction score
Ok, so do any of the Brad Penn users add any additives (Oil Extreme Concentrated)?

As per > MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA < (If you have a browser that has the option of "Find in this page" you might want to use it. A lot of "Blah-blah-blah", but interesting comments about Brad Penn).

OR, in your opinion, is this blog hawking a lot of nonsense (False Flag)?

Same-same for Royal Purple -

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Holy cow you better grab a case of beer and not have any plans for the day if you plan on reading all that!!! I started and gave up after a half hour .

Lambeth Dave

Reaction score
Well my ebody isn't done...but in my 3 other hot rods...hydraulic flat tappet..amsoil Z rod synthetic...napa gold filter..summer Temps for operating...between 50 and 95 degrees..

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
383+.030, 516 cyl. Heads, Crane roller rockers, Comp solid cam. Amsoil z-rod 10w30, wix filter, 7qt pan. Change oil every 2 years (should do it more but drive it maybe 3-400miles a year). Only drive between 64°F-95°F. Temp over here goes from -31°F - 104°F

wedg2go

Reaction score
Holy cow you better grab a case of beer and not have any plans for the day if you plan on reading all that!!! I started and gave up after a half hour .

Apologies. That was never my intentions and the reason I mentioned to use word find in your browser on key words like "Brad".

So I did a little "cut-in-paste" on a few key issues he mentions in his blog about Brad-Penn by example;

(Begin blog research)*****

* FOR THE RECORD, I am NOT connected in any way to the Motor Oil or Aftermarket Additive Industry. I have absolutely no interest in what products people choose to use. So, I DO NOT promote any particular brand. I only share the results that come out of my Engineering tests, good or bad.

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

* Over 120,000 psi = FANTASTIC wear protection

* 105,000 to 120,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

* 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

* 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

* 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

* Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

Test result differences between oils of less than 10% are not significant, and oils within that range can be considered approximately equivalent.

IT’S WORTH REPEATING THAT SOME KEY POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND ABOUT THIS TESTING ARE:

The psi reference values above, ONLY APPLY TO MY TEST DATA, not to actual engine component loading. Here’s why:
The motor oil “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” I perform is WORST CASE torture testing. My test equipment is NOT intended to duplicate an engine’s internal components. On the contrary, the test equipment is specifically designed to generate severe loading, that will quickly cause an oil to reach its failure point, in order to determine what its capability limit it is. The test loading is severe enough, that the wear scar size that forms, based on an oil’s load carrying capability (the wear scar is what is measured), has stabilized at its final size by the conclusion of a 30 second load test. Procedure development testing showed that more time than that did not change the wear scar size. Every oil I test is brought to its failure point, that’s how it works. The difference in the failure points, is what we compare. My testing subjects the oil to far more severe loading than even the most wicked flat tappet race engine could ever generate.
25. “Oil Extreme concentrate” added to 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 semi-synthetic = 111,061psi
This oil on its own WITHOUT the “Oil Extreme concentrate” added to it, has a wear protection capability of only 71,206 psi. But, with 2.0 OZ of concentrate added per qt, which is the amount intended for racing, its wear protection capability “WENT UP A BREATH TAKING 56%”.
zinc = TBD
phosphorus = TBD.
moly = TBD
calcium = TBD
TBN = TBD
176. 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1, partial synthetic = 71,206 psi
zinc = 1557 ppm
phos = 1651 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
213. 10W40 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1, partial synthetic = 57,864 psi
zinc = TBD, but the bottle claims high zinc
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This by Brad Penn:
“There is such a thing as too much ZDDP. ZDDP is surface aggressive, and too much can be a detriment. ZDDP fights for the surface, blocking other additive performance. Acids generated due to excessive ZDDP contact will “tie-up” detergents thus encouraging corrosive wear. ZDDP effectiveness plateaus, more does NOT translate into more protection. Only so much is utilized. We don’t need to saturate our oil with ZDDP.
**** (End blog research)

I know I am probably reading to much into this testing. None the less, I am a big "Stick with what you know" type of person and that is Valvoline. The problem with their product is you either purchase conventional or synthetic with ZDDP. I am a huge fan of blends - which Brad-Penn provides - and Valvoline in this area is lacking. So, I researched all (Royal Purple, Brad-Penn, Amsoil, etc.) until I came across this blog. As scary as his research is, I like to think I can keep my 440 from wearing out before it's time.

BTW - He has done research on all the major brands of different motor oils and the main reason I swapped from Maxima to Valvoline (For now).

Back