• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Oil

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Was thinking about using Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my motor. The motor was rebuilt and doesn't have a lot of miles on it i was also gonna use a Fram PH8A filter your thoughts? Or should i stick to conventional oil

moparleo

Reaction score
Nothing but upsides with good quality synthetic lubricants. Longer life, superior additive packages, resistant to contamination. If your car is tuned properly( no excess unburned fuel wash), much longer change intervals. Really you can change the filters more often than the oil. I have used Mobil 1 on all of the vehicles I have owned for the last 20 + years and no problems . No leaks, noises, oil consumption. Almost all modern vehicles either use 100% or Semi-synthetic oil OEM .

440rush

Reaction score
I used the Mobil 1 in my crate 493 with no problems about 6 years ago. But the Fram filters don't have the best reputation. Theres a You Tube video where a guy cuts apart about 7 or 8 different brands and the Fram wasn't made very well. If I recall the Wix and NAPA gold were made the best.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks i did hear the Frams weren't that good what weight oil would you use in the 340. A 5-30 mobil -1 ?

KennyCuda

Reaction score
would you happen to have the filter number on the napa or wix filter

fasjac

Reaction score
I sell a bunch of Mobile synthetic everyday in newer cars. And use in all my other cars/trucks. I’ve been using Castrol 20/50 conventional oil for 40 years. No problem. One Sunday I was doing an oil change on my stroker and realized I didn’t have any 20/50. And the parts store didn’t have any. So I bought synthetic 10/40 penz. All I can say is my motor wasn’t having it. It really didn’t like it. I drove it 10 miles and brought her home. I don’t know why but, that’s what happened.
Monday I changed it back to 20/50 and all good ......
Mobile is great oil, no doubt.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks I'm thinking of using castrol when it comes to oil it gets confusing. What filter do you use brand ?

fasjac

Reaction score
Mopar. The Luther dealer group I work with has a CDJ store in Little Rock. I can get the part number for you if you need. It’s the longer filter.

74Scooter

Reaction score
Been using penzoil 10w-30 for what seems like ever. Anything to be aware of switching from one to the other?

440rush

Reaction score
The NAPA filter number is 1068, I don't know the Wix number. I'm sure any parts store could cross reference the the number for you. This is for a 440.

wedg2go

Reaction score
KennyCuda -

Just to echo what everyone else has said - Your choice for Mobil 1 synthetic oil is an excellent choice! Especially, if you're running a non-roller setup. ZDDP is vital for classic build, flat tappet motors and Mobil 1 comes off the store shelves with just the right amount in the bottle/jug.

As far as oil filters are concern - FRAM Group IP LLC has saturated the market with their filters. They must put a lion's share into their advertising budget and field reps. They're an American Company and that's "Great n' all," but I wouldn't purchase their product if it was the last brand on the shelf. Seriously! Consider Purolator ONE (PL30001), Bosch Premium oil filter (3500 - I believe - painted black canister), Wix (you already have) or even Motorcraft (Yikes! A Ford product in a Mopar? FL-1A). All of them have a far superior internal construction over Fram. Especially, when it comes to backflow within the filter after the motor is shutdown.

I was a big time consumer of Fram Filters. My belief was a filter is a filter. Meh! That was until I power search the web and found one horror story after another about Fram filters. I wouldn't! Just no way! Too much money tied into my motor to be cheap now.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
WIX 51515 series (any of that number from WIX). Also, I believe NAPA's filters are simply re-branded WIX filters (common private-label branding from a manufacturer-to-retailer).

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I went to buy a Wix today and they didn't have it they told me it was 51068 part number thanks for the help

74Scooter

Reaction score
KennyCuda -

Just to echo what everyone else has said - Your choice for Mobil 1 synthetic oil is an excellent choice! Especially, if you're running a non-roller setup. ZDDP is vital for classic build, flat tappet motors and Mobil 1 comes off the store shelves with just the right amount in the bottle/jug.

. . .

Folks seem to love Royal Purple 10w-30 for the same reason(s) as Mobil 1 synthetic.. any preference?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would get 2000 miles on it Before switching to synthetic .
I agree I Only use Wix filters , Fram is trash.

340sport

Reaction score
Maybe this will help.....

NAPA Gold is the same as the WIX and usually compares in price. The NAPA Pro Select (used to be called Silver) is also made by WIX, but instead of the glass/paper fiber filter, it uses all paper. In the US Napa stores, the gold filters are commonly $8-$10, while you can get the pro select for about $5. If you don't care about packaging, you can get what is called the Master Pack pro select, which just comes wrapped in plastic (no box) and when on sale usually sell for $2.99

NAPA 1068 (gold) short
NAPA 21068 (pro select) short
WIX 51068 short

NAPA 1515 (gold) long
NAPA 21515 (pro select) long
WIX 51515 long

Car Quest filters are made by WIX as well, but use 8 as the first digit in the part number for Premium (for example 81068 or 81515) or R8 for standard, which is equivalent to Pro Select. These filters are usually priced about the same as a NAPA filter

wedg2go

Reaction score
Folks seem to love Royal Purple 10w-30 for the same reason(s) as Mobil 1 synthetic.. any preference?

We must know the same "Folks."

From my understanding, either one is good. I just happen to lean towards Mobile 1. The reason? If I remember right, Royal Purple contained a little less zinc and Mobile 1 - as mentioned for flat tappets - was in the ballpark.

BTW - There are brands out there, imo, containing too much zinc. I'm guessing the thought here is, "More is better" when it's not. ZDDP make a great lube, but too much just gunks up the works.

Now most here know I run a roller setup, from top to bottom, on my 440. Zinc - or ZDDP in general - should not be an issue. True! But for some reason Mobil 1, from my motor to my ears, seems to hold up better when the engine warms up.

Then again,
Maybe I'm just superstitious and lean towards their company background (history)?

Litchkar

Reaction score
Like many others, I run Wix filters, Amazon always has a good price. I did a lot of research, and Mobil 1 15w-50 has a higher zinc content than their other synthetic oils. It is designed for flat tapping applications.

Back