• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ENGINE STAND WIRING -HELP -HELP- HELP PLEASE

SFEbody

Reaction score
Hello Mates- Finished my engine test stand and desperately need someone to post a wiring diagram to fire this baby up? I have looked online and am more confused than before.

So, its a 1970 440 BB, have the distributor in, coil, starter, and alternator ( don't want to wire the alternator if its not needed) can run off battery for a few minutes to check for leak.
Oil Pressure, Water temp gauges Im good with these.

Do I need a voltage regulator and ballast for it to run?
Help in simple diagram form is MUCH APPRECIATED

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
No need for the alternator or the voltage regulator to run on a break-in stand. You'll need the alternator mounted so that you can run the water pump though. Just put a battery charger on the battery while you are running it and it will be fine.

Ballast resistor is recommended in the ignition circuit (on a stock Mopar electronic system), without it the coil can and will get quite hot, just depends on how long you run it.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Here's about all you need to fire up the engine, other than for the starter circuit.

upload_2017-11-19_12-46-9.png

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, positive wire to the coil will energize the ignition slowing it to run, but may burn up the coil without the ballast resistor.

To make sure it starts immediately I would static time it. Bring the timing mark to 10 degrees before TDC, on the compression stroke. Then with the ignition on/energized, and a timing light on #1 plug wire, slowly turn the distributor until it fires. Snug down the dist clamp and you should be good to go.

Big block distributors turn in the opposite direction of small block, with that in mind make sure you are turning the distributor in the direction it will be turning when running to set the static timing.

Adam

Reaction score
I was in Agua Dulce for many years, but I retired in April and moved to Washington state in September.

71Challenger/6

Reaction score
Not that I can add anything to the conversation, but you are not alone... I am right up the road in Quartz Hill.

I have run many an engine on the stand without the ballast resistor, but it WILL get hot. Use one if you can to prevent damage.

SFEbody

Reaction score
I do have one, and will install it. Getting ready to fire her up today. Let me know if your ever in the Valencia area, more than happy to get advice live in person.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Diagram i made years ago for my shops run stand - way more than it needs to be honestly but we did a lot of break ins with it so I wired the charging system and gave an electric fan - also an electric choke hook up and all that - also wired a swap in MSD box to swap in if customer was running an MSD dizzy...

New run up stand wiring diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Back