• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust stud...

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
So - does anyone else hate when an exhaust stud breaks? Channel locks? no dice. EZ Out? no dice. Welding a nut on? Snapped off....

So I ended up with this... ended up just pulling the engine so I could fish out the stud.... with a drill.

On the plus side it allowed me ample space to drop in my headers

I wasn't anticipating pulling the engine but it was actually pretty easy - from getting my cherry picker out to putting it back was about 2.5 hours

image7aaaaa.jpg

bullet18

Reaction score
When that happens to me i grind 2 sides of the stud flat with an angle grinder and crank on it with an 18" adjustable wrench. It hasnt failed me yet.

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Well I'll never know if that would have worked --- but the problem is fixed now -

I was actually very surprised how smoothly the engine came out and back in.

The headers were some no name brand headers off E-bay - came with 3/8" flanges and the tubes are pretty thick walled it seems. They actually fit surprisingly well - probably just like most other headers out there

image4aaaaa.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Make sure to use studs on the front and rear of the cylinder head. Use pipe dope as a sealer, anti-seize. Engine removal is even easier and faster by just removing the K-member bolts (4) and lower ball joints. Just like the factory did.

aussiemark

Reaction score
2.5 hours to get it out and back in, I don't think dropping the K frame would be much quicker. I prefer to do it from the top as well just always done it that way and feel more comfortable doing it that way. Interestingly the original service manual recommends this method as well.

RJHJR

Reaction score
Nice car!
Next time try bee's wax.
Heat it up with a torch.
Apply the wax at the base of the stud or bolt.
Let it wick in.
Sometimes you need to do it twice or heat it up a little again.
It's old school but it works...

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Make sure to use studs on the front and rear of the cylinder head. Use pipe dope as a sealer, anti-seize. Engine removal is even easier and faster by just removing the K-member bolts (4) and lower ball joints. Just like the factory did.

That's how I usually do it - but I just didn't want to dick with the torsion bars... not a big deal really but I just had it in my head to just get it done.

Back