• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

external fuel pump vs efi tank/pump

rodell

Reaction score
I recently purchased this challenger (2022) with the intent on swapping the 318 to a gen 3 6.4 Hemi. It came with a recently installed oe style fuel tank. Im trying to decide if i can just use an external pump or is swapping the tank the only way to go.

1971 Challenger

please provide links if you are able. thanks in advance

Robert

Jm73340

Reaction score
The OEM’s put the pump in the tank for a reason. I’ve converted my Challengers to EFI and installed the EFI tank with pump in the tank. No issues now for the past few years and best of all you can’t hear it running once the engine is running.

rodell

Reaction score
which brand did you go with? did it come with pump and sending unit or did you have to order that separately?

Jm73340

Reaction score
I used an Areomotive tank and Areomotive 340gph in tank pump. Since then they have come out with a smaller pump 200gph I believe which would have worked for me.

Katfish

Reaction score
I've had a Spectra EFI tank in my Challenger for the last 8 yrs with no issue.
Used it for my 340 and now my 5.7 swap.
Check RockAuto for best prices

scar426

Reaction score
I recently purchased this challenger (2022) with the intent on swapping the 318 to a gen 3 6.4 Hemi. It came with a recently installed oe style fuel tank. Im trying to decide if i can just use an external pump or is swapping the tank the only way to go.

1971 Challenger

please provide links if you are able. thanks in advance

Robert
Tanksinc EFi tank, GPA5 pmp (340LPH) and Floatless fuel sender, approx. $730. tanks are baffled, sumped and look stock installed.

moparroy

Reaction score
Holley makes an in tank pump that uses a special sock with a capability based on surface tension I think. Its designed to work in a tank without baffle. As long as the sock is touching fuel at any edge it can suck it into the pump. Reviews are good on it - that is what I have bought (not installed yet) to use with OE style tank. I never let EFI tanks get below 1/4 anyway - usually not much if any below 1/2 to keep the pump running cool.
I had ordered a Spectra tank w/ pump from Rockauto but the pump was busted up in it when it arrived - poorly packaged - so I returned it.
If you are going to go external it has to have an external reservoir - they call it a pump module or something like that - reservoir is fed by oe diaphragm pump and is under the hood (not small)

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I second the Tanks, Inc tanks, sending units, and pumps. I have their tank with sump and baffle, their Walbro 255lph pump, and the floatless fuel gauge sending unit. Supports my Holley Terminator X Stealth EFI kit on a 440 stroker.
***That Holley pickup sock is theirs, not Tanks, Inc. and the sock is crazy cool on how it works.

IMG_0192.JPG
Tanks Inc internal Cuda tank baffle.jpg
Tanks Inc Fuel Pump_prod_ssh_1059_419.jpg
Floatless Fuel Gauge Sending Unit_Tanks Inc.jpg

Last edited:

Katfish

Reaction score
Spectra tank, bolts in like stock, is baffled, has a Walbro GSS342, 255 LPH pump, and is 1/2 the cost of everything else I looked at.
Plenty of options, do your research

Last edited:

Gkprice1

Reaction score
I've got the Tanks Inc and Walbro in my 48 Plymouth, with Sniper on my 360 Magnum. I like Tanks stuff. They didn't have the floatless sender then. I didn't set the float right. When it says 1/2 tank, get gas or push. Oddly enough, when I put new gauges and sender in, with the original tank, before EFI, it read spot on.

I've got a brand new tank for my Challenger, 74 with 383. Been thinking of getting a Tanks Inc with Walbro and putting EFI on it.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I purchased the Tanks Inc. with the standard fuel pump and float type sending unit. Works flawlessly and the tank coating is very high quality. I've autocrossed the car and had zero fuel issues. I have a holley fuel pressure regulator with a return line running 5.5psi for a carburetor. I purchased the Holley pressure regulator that can also (with the change of a spring) go up to 60psi for fuel injected engines. I plan on dropping a Gen III hemi into the car this year. (I've already purchased the donor car). Good luck on your tank purchase. I would suggest getting the damper pad that goes on top of the tank no matter what option you get. Without it, the fuel pump noise can transfer to your passenger compartment. I also put a rubber strip on the inside of the fuel straps so noise would not transfer through the straps either. that may have been overkill, but it is quiet when the pump is energized.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I purchased the Tanks Inc. with the standard fuel pump and float type sending unit. Works flawlessly and the tank coating is very high quality. I've autocrossed the car and had zero fuel issues. I have a holley fuel pressure regulator with a return line running 5.5psi for a carburetor. I purchased the Holley pressure regulator that can also (with the change of a spring) go up to 60psi for fuel injected engines. I plan on dropping a Gen III hemi into the car this year. (I've already purchased the donor car). Good luck on your tank purchase. I would suggest getting the damper pad that goes on top of the tank no matter what option you get. Without it, the fuel pump noise can transfer to your passenger compartment. I also put a rubber strip on the inside of the fuel straps so noise would not transfer through the straps either. that may have been overkill, but it is quiet when the pump is energized.
That's good advice on the damper pad.

Back