• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

F8 Green Barracuda

bowers887

Reaction score
I have a 1972 barracuda with a 318 in it and would like to do a 6.4/392 hemi swap in the car. The car is very rusty and will take a lot of metal work. I am replacing all of the metal with 1971 panels. I have ordered all of the metal from AMD including the shaker hood which brings me to the question that I have been unable to find an answer for. I was wondering if anybody can help me with the shaker for the car. I am wondering if the new shaker from the Challenger will fit the original 1971 opening in the hood. Are the shakers the same size or is the new style smaller? If so does anybody know if it will work and look okay? I am figuring it may be a little smaller but do not have access to either to do the measuring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. These are pictures of where I picked the car up from, I will get more pictures of the car.
Thanks
Troy

Troy's 72 Cuda #1.JPG

Troy's 72 Cuda #2.JPG

Troy's 72 Cuda #3.JPG

Troy's 72 Cuda #4.JPG

Troy's 72 Cuda #5.JPG

Troy's 72 Cuda #6.JPG

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! It does appear the newer shakers are smaller. But, I’m sure some of the members hear have gone through what you’re wanting to do. Which is very nice. Someone will chime in. I look forward to seeing your project take shape. Glad you’re here Troy

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome from Panama !
I agree yo will need a repro shaker to fit the hood correctly then you need to figure out either how to support it on the engine or attach it to the hood .

bowers887

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info guys. I am thinking of buying the original style aftermarket shaker and either putting a flat base on it with a snorkel system on it and into an air box like the new ones. Then I will mount it to the engine like the new ones are done with just some brackets, I may get lucky and find a mounting bracket from a wrecked challenger.
Troy

moparlee

Reaction score
Troy, welcome to the site from Michigan!
Lots of good tech help here to help you along the way on your project.
Keep us posted.

Montclaire

Reaction score
Why did you buy 1971 panels? Does the car "identify" as a 71? Project TransCuda? Restore the car the right way.

Welcome to the site. :welcome:

Last edited:

bowers887

Reaction score
I have always wanted a 71 and think they are the most unique of that body style. The true 71's are out of my price range and I was able to purchase this car from one of my friends for a good price. I would like to do a 71 clone with a modern 6.4 Scat pack engine and trans with a dana 60. I am also planning to put the new challenger interior in the car, Leather with suede inserts with the scat pack logo on them. It is a 318 car with AC and disc brakes. I am planning on putting vintage air in the car also. I would like to put the modern dash from the challenger in the car along with the console to work with the modern shifter. Has anybody put a modern dash from a challenger in a cuda? I would like to purchase a 6.4 turn key pallet deal from Cleveland POP for my car. I also have a 1972 Satellite that I am also going to restore. I am planning on using one of my 383's or 440's with a 727 for it. It was a 440 car with rally gauges, AC and disc brakes. It was F8 Green with white and black interior. I would like to keep it pretty much the same but paint it the new octane red.

Troy

Montclaire

Reaction score
I want to say that the newer dash assy. is too wide to be a direct fit.

bowers887

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the new style challenger dash will fit in a 72 cuda? If so how extensive is the cutting on the width to get it in. I know the dash will have to be trimmed for the depth because it is a very deep dash.

Back