• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Factory Fuel Pump Pressure

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Can anyone tell my how many PSI I should be getting with a stock fuel pump. I have a Fi-tech fuel injection and am only reading 3psi on the inlet side. Changed the fuel pump and still only getting 3 psi. I was guessing it should be up around 8???

Adam

Reaction score
You better read the directions again; I believe Fitech needs an electric pump with at least 60 psi.

A stock mechanical pump is far too inadequate for fuel injection.

rogue

Reaction score
yeah, it won't run with that little pressure, you need a fuel pump rated for fuel injection like Adam mentions

tonysrt

Reaction score
I ran the Fitech and had 58 psi at the inlet. Do you have a return? Sounds like you have to do a lot more work to get it straightened out. Did it run with that little pressure? Where are you located on L.I., maybe I can give you a few pointers. PM with your info. I ran the Fitech for 2 years and had trouble with it, not starting when hot this summer and went back to the carbs.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Are you using the command centre also your wiring may be too small & the pump cannot run at its full output

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Ok, to clarify I have the fuel command center which has the internal high pressure pump. The high side seams to be functioning fine. This system used the factory fuel pump to supply fuel to the command center where it is then converted to high pressure. It only reads 3 psi on the inlet side. After a half hour on hold with fi-tech Bubba said its not about the pressure its about the flow???

jjklongisland

Reaction score
I ran the Fitech and had 58 psi at the inlet. Do you have a return? Sounds like you have to do a lot more work to get it straightened out. Did it run with that little pressure? Where are you located on L.I., maybe I can give you a few pointers. PM with your info. I ran the Fitech for 2 years and had trouble with it, not starting when hot this summer and went back to the carbs.
I am in Sayville. Where are you at? Definitely switching to a Holley Sniper system but not for at least another year. Its not cheap at $1600.

moparleo

Reaction score
Bubba is not wrong. Volume is what you need especially since the electric pump ups the pressure. Are the fuel lines to the tank new ? 3/8 or 5/15 ? New hi-flow filters ? The sock manual pump should put out about 8 psi. Maybe a new hi-flow manual pump as well will help. Fi requires a high pressure/high volume fuel supply . I would also make sure to use hi-pressure F.I. clamps and E85 resistant rubber lines where needed.

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
My stock fuel pump varies from 3-7psi depending on the phase of the moon. 3psi is plenty to supply the command center which is essentially a remote fuel tank with an electric pump. If the stock pump can supply a carburetor, it can supply the fuel used by the FITech throttle body. The volume is essentially the same, actually probably less with the FITech

Back