• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fall-off going into third gear

cv70chall

Reaction score
I'm not a carb guy- but I think the issue I'm experiencing might be one. I have a 440 with a Holley 650CFM and have noticed "occasionally" that when I step on it- the engine seems to lose power coming out of 2nd gear. If I lay off the gas- and give it a few seconds to recover, it then decides to step up.
Any ideas?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Sounds more like fuel supply so if you let off the fuel supply can catch up . you may have a weak fuel pump or a restricted fuel line of filter , a 3/8 line can help .
Having said that you need 800 CFM on a 440 , the factory used the 800CFM thermoquad on the 340

Last edited:

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Sounds more like fuel supply so if you let off the fuel supply can catch up . you may have a weak fuel pump or a restricted fuel line of filter , a 3/8 line can help .
Having said that you need 800 CFM on a 440 , the factory used the 800CFM thermoquad on the 340
I tend to agree. I run a Holley 750. And it LOVES that transition. If anything? My 440 lumbers a bit getting up to its power band. But that is typical for a stockish 440 (unless deeper geared rear?)

Back