• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fixing door gap

rklein71

Reaction score
Kind of crazy to cut brand new quarters, but they are not perfect.

800BCB76-22D2-4BA9-A2CF-E43A52F35EA9.jpeg

FD449CF4-4A52-4F18-9CBE-B0B9E00E2E13.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I had to cut new quarters in a similar fashion on my ‘68 RR. One in the same place where it meets the door and the other at the rear of the C pillar next to the back glass.

Rons340

Reaction score
It's common to custom fit the quarters, and doors too for that matter. That is why we build cars and not simply assemble them. :) Great job on the fit!

SFEbody

Reaction score
Yea. my gaps were so bad from the way the quarters were installed I had to add a lot of metal

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 152

rklein71

Reaction score
Yea. my gaps were so bad from the way the quarters were installed I had to add a lot of metal
I might add just a smidge of metal at the very edge like you did as it dips down relative to the door in a few inches and although it would not be much filler, I don't know if I really want filler on the edge of the quarter.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Mine are AMD also but very early ones from when they first started making them And I was happy to have them.

Rons340

Reaction score
All my sheetmetal on this build came from AMD and was installed by the professionals at the AMD Installation Center near Atlanta. They did an outstanding job on the metal work and the panels were of great quality, but still needed adjustments to the gaps once I got it to the body shop. It's inevitable if you want the door gaps perfect.

moparlee

Reaction score
All my sheetmetal on this build came from AMD and was installed by the professionals at the AMD Installation Center near Atlanta. They did an outstanding job on the metal work and the panels were of great quality, but still needed adjustments to the gaps once I got it to the body shop. It's inevitable if you want the door gaps perfect.
Why didn't the Installation Center make the gaps perfect to begin with?

Rons340

Reaction score
Why didn't the Installation Center make the gaps perfect to begin with?
All they do there is strip the car to the substructure, square and align the unibody, lock it on a dado table, and hang the sheetmetal. This insures that the car is square and level when they weld the panels in place. (Better than factory)

They do initial alignments to the sheetmetal to insure the body lines are correct and door gaps are in the ballpark but that is far as they go. They do no body or paint work, only sheetmetal installation. In my experience the adjustments are always done at the body shop in preparation for paint.

I can highly recommend that company to anyone needing major sheetmetal work done.

SFEbody

Reaction score
If they were near me, I would have definitely used them. From a technology standpoint, I think they are leading the field

Back