• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flywheel runout

rasmus westlin

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 440 with a A833 4-speed with a mccleod clutch and a RAM billet 130 tooth flywheel, i bought the flywheel from a friend and it hadnt run much. After i installed everything and run the engine on the starter i noticed the flywheel was abit wobbly, i messuered the flywheel with a indicator gauge and it has a run out of 0.030 inches. The car drives great and its zero vibrations in the car, i wonder if its dangereus to drive the car? Its a billet flywheel and not cast iron, can it ”explode” or something if i get up to higher RPMs?

Thanks!

rasmus westlin

Reaction score
wow, usually max runout is in the single thousands range, like .005.
Yeah i know, Also if i put the engine at tdc and set the dial indicator at zero and then turn the engine 90° it will read 0,030 and at 180° it will read zero and at 270 it will read 0,030 again.

Is it dangerus to drive the car? Like i Said, no vibrations and it shifts great.

rklein71

Reaction score
I would pull the flywheel off and check the runout of your crank flange. If it checks out, your flywheel needs machining or you could have something in between the flywheel and the crank.

rasmus westlin

Reaction score
I would pull the flywheel off and check the runout of your crank flange. If it checks out, your flywheel needs machining or you could have something in between the flywheel and the crank.
Yes okey , Will do that!

rklein71

Reaction score
Even a layer of paint can mess things up. When I did my bellhousing checks, I had paint on the block bellhousing facing and it was enough to throw it out of spec.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
SO to clarify centering the belhousing to the crank center should be in the .005 range .
So is the run out is between the back of the flywheel & the block or measuring the edge of the flywheel where the ring gear is ? / out of round ? If it is on the edge of the flywheel where the runout is being measured is the gauge reading +.030 at both 90* & 270* or + .30 @ 90* & -.030 @270* for example ?

rklein71

Reaction score
You are measuring two things when setting up your bell housing. 1) verifying the center line hole opening of the bell housing is as close to the centerline of the crankshaft as possible and 2) the face of bell housing is parallel to the block.

fasjac

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 440 with a A833 4-speed with a mccleod clutch and a RAM billet 130 tooth flywheel, i bought the flywheel from a friend and it hadnt run much. After i installed everything and run the engine on the starter i noticed the flywheel was abit wobbly, i messuered the flywheel with a indicator gauge and it has a run out of 0.030 inches. The car drives great and its zero vibrations in the car, i wonder if its dangereus to drive the car? Its a billet flywheel and not cast iron, can it ”explode” or something if i get up to higher RPMs?

Thanks!
I would not run again without pulling it back out. There is a risk of exploding at higher rpm’s.
Take the flywheel to the machine shop, or get another one.
JMO

Back