• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Found a pic of my old 71 Hemi Orange convertible

340challconvert

Reaction score
Found a shot of my old 1971 Challenger convertible-hemi orange, automatic, rally dash 383 car. At the time I wanted a small block 340, so I was pulling the 383 N code engine to install the small block. Wish I never switched the engine and still owned this car.

Often thought it was built as a Pace Car replica. Car was hemi orange, with the N code 383.
Had a flat hood with hood pins and a ralley dash. Had a black interior though and someone had added the 71 RT stripes.
71 hemi orange vert eng change.jpg
)
Got the car for 500 dollars. Some idiot put air shocks in it and ripped the shreds out of the upper rear shock frame. Brought it to the dealer and had a new one welded in for about 150 bucks. Ah they were the good old days. Had a running big block Challenger convertible for a total of 650. That's the original engine decal I removed at the time.
If you look at the picture closely, there is the back of my old 1970 Red RT/SE 440 car. This is the one that was sold to someone in Sweden after I sold it in the late 70's.
That's me in the pic-I actually had a "Fro", a little dented from being under the car. (It was the early 70's afterall)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Excellent photograph! Do you have the vin from the car? You should check the vert registry and see if it's on it if you do.
1 of 126!

70CUDA4SPEED

Reaction score
If you look at the picture closely, there is the back of my old 1970 Red RT/SE 440 car. This is the one that was sold to someone in Sweden after I sold it in the late 70's.
Do you have the VIN from this car, if so I can see if it's still hare in Sweden.

340challconvert

Reaction score
I actually spoke with Barry Washington on my old red RT/SE
I had the original build sheet that I sent him in April 2014
He confirmed with me that the car was in Sweden. Owner's name is Jarmo Palonen
Car has not been registered and it is assumed that it has been in storage.
I scanned a copy of the build sheet I sent to Barry
This was my 70 Challenger
RT/SE, red, ps, pdb, factory air and power windows w black leather interior
Again another car I wish I had kept.
JS29U0B179325
Challenger RT SE Red Sweden.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

The picture shows two of the Challengers I owned at the time;
71 hemi orange 383 convertible and the 70 RT SE 440

I sent the build sheet to Barry hoping the Swedish owner would want to claim it.

Last edited:

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
Cool pic, love the fro. Did you wear platforms too? Ha ha just giving you a bad time.
Another wish I woulda keeped it. We'll at least you can say you owned one!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Cool pic, love the fro. Did you wear platforms too? Ha ha just giving you a bad time.
Another wish I woulda keeped it. We'll at least you can say you owned one!

Worn-out bell bottoms and cowboy style boots went with the "fro". (Pre-Disco days)
I now regret what I did with those cars.
I pulled the original 383 magnum from the orange convertible and installed a 340 because I wanted a small block. I eventually sold it.
The other car, a red 440 RT SE to the left of the convertible with factory air and pw I sold shortly after and it ended up exported to Sweden about five years later.
Man, if we had only known, I would have kept both cars. I know how you feel!

Dino2 (1).gif

seneca

Reaction score
Your recall notice mentions " fatalities " in connection with the SpaceSaver spare. I remember some talk about them being a problem back then but didn't realize there were deaths as a result. Guess that's why they weren't available when I bought my 72, eh?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Your recall notice mentions " fatalities " in connection with the SpaceSaver spare. I remember some talk about them being a problem back then but didn't realize there were deaths as a result. Guess that's why they weren't available when I bought my 72, eh?
I heard there were problems with people filling them with regular air hoses and over inflating. I took mine out and used to carry a regular spare tire at the time.

RzeroB

Reaction score
Nice hair! A good story too. Love those throwback pics ... got anymore that you can post up?

seneca

Reaction score
I heard there were problems with people filling them with regular air hoses and over inflating. I took mine out and used to carry a regular spare tire at the time.
Since the E bodies trunks are only slightly larger than the glove compartment, I yanked my spare tire out after a few months and have kept a can of Fix-A-Flat in it's place. I just buy a new can every couple of years to make sure it's workable.

seneca

Reaction score
Worn-out bell bottoms and cowboy style boots went with the "fro". (Pre-Disco days)
I now regret what I did with those cars.
I pulled the original 383 magnum from the orange convertible and installed a 340 because I wanted a small block. I eventually sold it.
The other car, a red 440 RT SE to the left of the convertible with factory air and pw I sold shortly after and it ended up exported to Sweden about five years later.
Man, if we had only known, I would have kept both cars. I know how you feel!

View attachment 32978
" I now regret...."
If you're like me paharamia, we have a four volume set of notebooks full of regrets as the years pile up. " We get too soon old and too late smart ".

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Since the E bodies trunks are only slightly larger than the glove compartment, I yanked my spare tire out after a few months and have kept a can of Fix-A-Flat in it's place. I just buy a new can every couple of years to make sure it's workable.
I'm tempted to do this, the lack of trunk drives me nuts.

Back