• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Frame Reinforcement

Zell

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a list of parts together until I find a good deal on a shell or daily driver (good being relative).
I've read all over that some of the e-bodies came with torque boxes in the front, some in the back, some both, others neither.

I was going to weld on subframe connectors and torque boxes (front and back). Are there any kits or parts anyone has bought before that they would recommend to stiffen up the frame and body?

Thanks for the input!

1969VADart

Reaction score
I believe US Car Tool has about the best total frame stiffening kits you can buy. I used their parts on my Dart project and I was very happy with them.

Zell

Reaction score
Thanks 1969VADart, I see there are a couple kit options that move the leaf spring locations? Is this because of the minitub that's offered, does it get in the way? I was just a little surprised to see the part map that showed changing the spring locations.

1969VADart

Reaction score
I believe the spring relocation is meant to go with the mini-tub. You can buy three different kits and the lower two level kits leave out the spring re-locators and the mini-tubs.

Zell

Reaction score
Moparleo how wide can you go? I wasn't really planning on putting anything crazy on so I doubt the tub would be necessary. Primarily concerned with stiffening up the body if I drop a potent motor in.

I was looking into a 383 or 440 and I'm up in the air as to try and find one and have it re-built or grab a crate motor. Either way I wanted to make sure all i's are dotted and t's crossed with chassis reinforcement.

I was at a car meet a few months ago in Florida and a couple of guys would not stop hating on crate motors for their unauthentic sound... Any experience with the crate motors? Are they really that bad?

alex perini

Reaction score
Installed the us car tool ones in my 73 challenger took some trimming lots of welding but happy with how they look and came out

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
We made all custom tubular frame connectors and under car bars to tie in the cage on my car. Also relocated and mini tubbed.

100_1711.jpg

100_1716.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It is good to use the inner fender braces & the lower rad support as well as subframes & torque boxes , the subframes can be made from 1x2" .125 wall tubing & just follow under the floor instead of welding all along the floor pans .

Back