• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Front Brake Line Routing

Dean N

Reaction score
I know there have been threads in the past regarding correct routing, but does it matter if complete correctness is not the goal? Other than the obvious, what is the difference? Is there anything that mandates one path versus the other? For an entire new system, can I just pick one and go with it?

I ask because I am starting with an empty engine bay and have no idea what the car came with, and see no evidence (to me) of how they may have once been. Are the mounting tabs for the hose/line transition an indicator?

TIA!

Dean
1972 'Cuda 340

moparleo

Reaction score
Brake line routing is dependent on what parts might be in the path of the lines. Best to know exactly what options will be installed on the firewall and such before you buy your lines. Power brakes ? booster, disc or drum, a/c, p/s, etc...???

fasjac

Reaction score
Id check the FSM first. Tube Technologies or Inline Tube possibly could help ( if you buy something) with a diagram. I would route them as it came stock unless it’s going to be a drag car. Pretty straight forward with all the parts. JMO

70chall440

Reaction score
On an E body (actually most 70's Mopars) its pretty evident where the line goes across the firewall, the only "tricky" part is where it goes around the opening for the steering column. I am sure there are pictures online showing them.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What year , it makes a difference , in 70 the calipers used a line that threaded right into the caliper pointing the lines rearward to the clips on the frame inside the wheelwell, you can use different calipers so the lines can be set up differently .

Dean N

Reaction score
My apologies, but I left off a crucial element in my post. By "correct routing", I was referring to the option of the stock routing with the front lines going over the frame or under the frame.

moparleo, gotcha.

fasjac, what are you referring o with FSM? Some sort of service manual?

70chall440, yep, I found lots of good photos.

Chryco Psyco, it is a 72 'Cuda.

70chall440

Reaction score
For me, I usually route the lines through the UCA access panel on the back side of the hole to allow full access of the hole for UCA work. I am not a fan of running the lines under the frame; I know the factory did it but if I am making them I have a choice. I also reuse the "spring" that goes over the line when it is outside of the engine compartment.

fasjac

Reaction score
My apologies, but I left off a crucial element in my post. By "correct routing", I was referring to the option of the stock routing with the front lines going over the frame or under the frame.

moparleo, gotcha.

Yea, the factory service manual. Be careful where you go under the frame ( where ever that may be) because of smashing one closed should you not have the clearance.

fasjac

Reaction score

moparleo, gotcha.

Under the frame up front like factory I think is fine. I’ve seen some run them under the trans cross member that could be exposed to a speed bump or whatever. That’s why I mentioned the factory routing is not a bad thing. You just don’t want the lines to be the first thing that hits a low spot along the side of the car. JMO

Attachments

• 412BA43C-DE09-4138-BCBE-821D0AF4820E.jpeg
    412BA43C-DE09-4138-BCBE-821D0AF4820E.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 13A99254-3A9D-423D-A64E-9290FBCF9F9F.jpeg
    13A99254-3A9D-423D-A64E-9290FBCF9F9F.jpeg
    969.9 KB · Views: 167
Back