• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Front Disc Brake Conversion

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
Im looking at converting my front drum brakes to disc brakes. Anyone know of a good brand? I have manual brakes now and manual stearing.

downtime!

Reaction score
What if you don't need the booster? My car has power drums, everything works great, but I assume I'll need a new master cylinder at the least. Do y'all have a kit like that?

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
It states you need to use 15inc wheels on them. I only have 14 inch on the front which one can I use then?

moparleo

Reaction score
4 wheel power drums ? 15" tires and wheels are much easier to get than the 14" You also gain more room for brake cooling. This car is 42 years old and is the most important system on the car. They have to work no matter how much horsepower you through at it. For safety sake , and this goes for anyone who is reading this thread, Start at the front and replace everything thing including hoses, lines, wheel cylinders, calipers, rotors, bearings, seals, drums with all new parts, especially the master cylinder. It is not that expensive in the scheme of things and you can always upgrade to Baer, Wilwood, Master Power, Magnum Force, PST etc... There is a good article on doing a disc brake conversion in the Feb 15 Mopar Action magazine.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I have manual 4 wheel drums. with 14" tires and wheels on front with 15" on the back with 10" wide.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
So does anyone know of a good front brake conversion kit for 14 inch wheels in front?

moparleo

Reaction score
What is your budget and why are you stuck on the 14" wheel size ? There is a reason why it is hard to find a 14" conversion short of purchasing stock replacement parts. Here is a tech article covering a disc conversions for 14" and 15 ". A good read covering a start to finish conversion with manufactures web sites.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
What is your budget and why are you stuck on the 14" wheel size ? There is a reason why it is hard to find a 14" conversion short of purchasing stock replacement parts. Here is a tech article covering a disc conversions for 14" and 15 ". A good read covering a start to finish conversion with manufactures web sites.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

I have 14 inch wheels on the front that I like and prefer not to buy new ones.

seneca

Reaction score
I am having the front drums (all manual ) replaced on my 72 CUDA with disc brakes from a 78 Cordoba. The hot rod shop doing it says this is the unit that will fit right on and will use standard pads for replacement.

Winnie

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but use Mopar factory 1973 Cuda pin style disc brake setup and you can still use 14 inch rims. You will need the spindles,calipers, caliper brackets, bearings, rotors and hoses. Check out The RamMan for parts, he also has good videos on this subject too.

Last edited:
Back