• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Front end noise.

mistreta

Reaction score
When I raise the front of my 72 cuda, I get a noise, sounds like something needs to be greased or maybe a worn bushing. Seems to be on the driver side. Noisy till the tire comes off the ground, then noisy when the tire hits the ground does, not quit till the car is fully lowered. When I turn into the driveway as the front tire, driver side comes up on the drive, lower dirt road, I get a creaky sound. Something as weight is applied to that area.
Thank you.

mistreta

Reaction score
Have a show this weekend, safe to drive?. Maybe 15mi.
Thanks for the response

Rich G.

Reaction score
If it’s the bushing squeaking no problem. Did you try greasing the ball joints?

mistreta

Reaction score
Yes I did, had trouble with the fitting on that side. Bought some new fittings, but need to change out that one.

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds like a good time rebuild the front end. Buy a complete kit and if you have space to park the car, good/safe jackstands. A friend to help with some basic tools. Just do it. Lots of you-tube videos on the subject and not really difficult to do. You should ever really rely on anybody for accurate info about the safety of a noise without someone actually inspecting the vehicle. If you are going to drive it, drive it like it has a low tire.. meaning go slow and allow for plenty of space just incase you need it.. Always Safety First.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Very true , without someone actually looking at it who knows what to look for your just getting an idea of what could be wrong.

mistreta

Reaction score
If you have a sway bar those bushing could be it...
It does have a sway bar. Friend coming tomorrow to lend a hand, thinks it could be sway arm bushings. Let you know
Thank you.

i_taz

Reaction score
Mine do it after awhile even after I grease them... there just rubber but for whatever reason....just take the bracket off and you'll know right away...

mistreta

Reaction score
Turns out the noise was the sway bar bushings. PST poly. If the noise comes back I check on the rubber bushings.

mistreta

Reaction score
Oh I didn't know they made them. It would make things easier. Do you know who makes them?

i_taz

Reaction score
I don't think anybody does without the bushings but you never know on ebay...I'm surprised if there poly they didn't come with them...With rubber you generally don't need them and once you do them a couple times they behave but since you paid for poly you might as well use them. Yours maybe good for awhile... You can always drill yours out and put in a fitting just drill out the bushing a little larger so the grease will flow easily down to the bar... I'll probably try that if they keep giving me trouble.

mistreta

Reaction score
I googled greaseable sway bar bushings, they do make them, but not PST. Hope they stay quiet, not a big issue to correct, but I prefer to not spend a lot of time under the car. Good idea you have, putting fittings in. Time will tell.
Thanks for help.

Back