• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

front trailer tie down location

Cratos

Reaction score
I added the front chin spoilers on my 70 now i need a better tie down location. I cannot use the k-frame wrapping point with the chin spoilers, on ( the straps hit the spoiler) so i need a lower location. it looks like the only place would be the lower A-Arm??or where were the factory front tiedowns??

gzig5

Reaction score
I haven't looked at it in a while, but had planned on added tie down tabs to the front of the K member. If that won't work I'll weld something onto the frame rails. If adding parts is out of the question, I got nothing.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I've always used the lower control arms up front, and the axle tubes out back. They move a lot less in relation to the trailer deck than the K-member or frame. I have ~18" straps with a flat triangular ring on either end, which get looped around, the rings doubled and connected to the ratchet strap hooks... ain't lost one yet.

Cratos

Reaction score
ok thanks
I had rings welded to the rear shock mounts and guess ill use the a-arms for the front. thanks

gzig5

Reaction score
I've always thought that the A-arm would be a no-no due to the stress that could be transferred to the arm and bushings? I would never use an articulation suspension component for a tie down point. Frame related only in the front. The rear with a live axle would be a different story, around the axle or off the spring perch area are fine.

Cratos

Reaction score
yea I am not happy having to use of the a-arm but I do not see mush choice at this point?

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
What about wrapping ~18"-24" axle straps around the lower strut arms, then criss-cross the straps to the trailer with regular tie-down straps? That's what I do... and using shorter length regular trailer straps.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a loop welded on the front of my core support for strapping down and use as a tow hook for out at the track if ever needed. I made a stronger 2x2 lower core support similar to a US Car tool core support just for this reason and added structural strength.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a loop welded on the front of my core support for strapping down and use as a tow hook for out at the track if ever needed. I made a stronger 2x2 lower core support similar to a US Car tool core support just for this reason and added structural strength.
Found a picture of what I made that I tie down off off.

Challenger front.jpg

Cratos

Reaction score
how well has the core support held up? I would not think it would be a good solid tiedown point.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
how well has the core support held up? I would not think it would be a good solid tiedown point.
Read my post above. The hook is not welded to the stock core support. I made 2x2x1/8 wall tubing to fit and welded to both underside frame rails. I have been pulling the car by it with my golf cart or quad for years as well as winching it in and strapping the front down by it in the trailer..

Back