• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Gauge

Artee

Reaction score
The gauge stopped working abruptly about 5 years ago. Was always going to fix it but never got to it. I just do some math, and guesstimate the rest. Well the time has come and I've decided to take a shot at it. I've been looking over past posts and getting some good info on the subject. (Love the site, glad I joined) Did the suggested grounding tricks and the gauge pegs when the power lead is grounded. I've tried several methods of grounding the sender including running a wire to the engine block AND the battery neg. post. Nothing. So I'm going with bad sending unit. (it's original) My question is: Can the unit be accessed / removed / replaced without dropping the tank, or is it imperative that the tank comes out?
I'll be doing this on my back in the driveway.

KMikk

Reaction score
Yes, you can remove the sending unit with the tank still in the car.

Artee

Reaction score
Thank you for that piece of info. I also see on some threads that folks have had problems with after market senders from different vendors. Is there one piece that more members agree on than another ?

Artee

Reaction score
thanks for the info. Is there somebody that carries that piece or can I order it directly from them ?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I think I got mine from NAPA. They cost more than some of the other senders. I bought a cheaper one first and it didn't work. Happy with the spectra so far!

moparleo

Reaction score
It is not hard to drop the tank. Easier to install the sender as well because you won't be on your back. Disconnect the battery, ground wire first. Put the car up on jack stands with wheel chocks. Drain the gas tank. Floor jack is handy and just about everyone has one. Put a block of wood or something similar between the tank and the jack head. The tank is very light so don't worry about it falling on you. loosen tank strap nuts and slowly lower the tank. Disconnect the fuel lines and sending unit wire. Just watch the filler neck pipe, it should slip off of the tank. With the tank on the ground or your bench (you should always have a fire extinguisher handy in your garage any way) you can remove the metal ring that locks the sending unit to the tank and just lift the unit out. Good time to bench test the unit for calibration before you reinstall it. Replace the small rubber fuel/vent lines and clamps and reinstall in the reverse order. It is best to use a service manual for any details that I may have missed. That's it.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
Have fun knowing that you did it yourself.

Artee

Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Ive ordered the pieces and I'll getting after it soon.
Thanks for all the help.

Tactical185

Reaction score
Just for info, I had the same issue, purchased one from classic industries $99.99 + $15.00 shipping. Nothing but headaches, would only show ½ full when the tank was completely full. Remove it from the tank and it worked perfectly, install back in the tank, and would not work.

Searched amazon and purchased this for $62.00 w/ free shipping. Installed in the tank and it works perfectly. The sending units from CI are suspect?? Just my opinion and experience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7QJJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back