• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel vapor line without canister

keno

Reaction score
Hello all, im sorry if this question has been asked but i could not find a answer. I have a question about the fuel vapor line in my 72 challenger. I understand how it is routed to the vapor canister but i do not have one. The car originally had a 318 now a 440 from 1970. I saw a diagram using a 3 nipple valve cover breather where the vapor line, carb and airfilter connect to the breather. Question is can i connect the vapor line to a 1 nipple breather without connecting the airfilter and carb? Or should i get a 2 nipple breather and connect the vapor line and carb. Or do i have to hook up all 3 for it to work. Thanks for everyones advice.

gzig5

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the breather. I'd be carful putting excess vacuum on the tank. When I looked into it a lot of folks mentioned just leaving the line open or attaching a small fuel or air filter to it to keep bugs out. I ended up finding a canister cheap at a swap meet but haven't decided if I'm going to use it yet.

keno

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I didnt even think about the excess vacuum to the tank. I will try to post the diagram i saw

keno

Reaction score
5770024-tank.jpg

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
I can't speak for '72, but my '71 Challenger came connected as shown in your diagram with a three nipple breather.

keno

Reaction score
So it should work but only problem i dont have the stock airfilter with the nipple for the breather. The gas tank from my 72 is the same vapor liquid seperator and tank desighn from what i see

moparlee

Reaction score
So it should work but only problem i dont have the stock airfilter with the nipple for the breather. The gas tank from my 72 is the same vapor liquid seperator and tank desighn from what i see
If you don't care about originality, you don't need to have the air cleaner and carb connected to the breather.

keno

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The way i got it when i bought it orginally someone just put in a screw to plug the vapor line and i didnt like that. But also dont want the line open

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the fumes from the tank in 70 went to the atmosphere in the frame rail , in 71 the line was connected to the breather on the valve cover , into the crankcase & burned in the engine through the PCV valve into the carb base , using the 71 type system it will not put excess vacuum to the fuel tank as the engine has a breather on one valve cover also .

keno

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. So it will not cause excess vacum. From what you guys are telling me i can do this as long as i have the fuel vent line going to the breather not to the airfilter or carb ( a one nipple breather ) and a pcv valve on the other valve cover going to the carb

cuda joe

Reaction score
don;t connect vent line to the valve cover.. to the air cleaner filter will work

Max Wedge

Reaction score
the fumes from the tank in 70 went to the atmosphere in the frame rail , in 71 the line was connected to the breather on the valve cover , into the crankcase & burned in the engine through the PCV valve into the carb base , using the 71 type system it will not put excess vacuum to the fuel tank as the engine has a breather on one valve cover also .
My LA built 70 R/T has the 4 line separator and line to the breather. Might be CA only in 70

Back