• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gas tank vent line

Reaction score
So just installed Fitech EFI with the command Center pump the pump is return-less but it has a vent line that directions say to run back to tank. Wanting to fire it up I put a vent hose out to the front bumper ran it for 20 min noticed a drip of gas coming out every 3-4 seconds.
My question can I use the the original steel vent line that runs to the engine compartment that originally went to the charcoal can,i know there’s a check valve in the end of the line to prevent liquid from entering the can, but I could chop that out.
If this setup won’t work have you any other ideas?
Thanks for any input. Btw 72 challenger 340

budascuda

Reaction score
So with this method you just mentioned, when the engine is running, there's gonna be a drop of gasoline going into the charcoal can everyone 3 to 4 seconds?

Reaction score
No the charcoal can is long gone, vent line from pump to the old line that fed the can that goes back to tank,it would actually be reverse flow of original design.

budascuda

Reaction score
Sorry, I got it, I was beginning to worry about what I thought you were planning to do.
I think it's okay to use it as a return line, but can't tell you with certainty , wait for more replies to ok your plan.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I am running 2 fitech EFI on different cars i used a standard 3/8" fuel line alongside the original 3/8 supply line
with a standard tank & holley pump on the rear frame rail next to the tank 340 stroked to 392 with eddy performer heads even under full acceleration the only time i get fuel starvation is if there is less than a quarter in the tank.
Use high pressure EFI rated hose on the supply & the return if not using the command center or using a rear pump as the pressure will blow the old dodge rubber connections apart also good filtering is important the fitech is very sensitive to foreign material i used a 20 micron rear & 5 micron front.

Reaction score
The command Center pump only has vent line not a return no pressure.
You ran your pressured return to a vent line from the tank?
Do you have a vented gas cap?
Would non pressured vent line from command Center pump work with that set up?

rogue

Reaction score
i believe he means he ran the return to the original return fitting on the stock pick up in the tank, not the vent lines that come out of the tank on the right side.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Thats correct return line as long as the tank can breathe through the side vent a sealed tank should be ok

Back