• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

gearing ??

Big J

Reaction score
I need some help. I have a 1970 challenger 383 650 carb ,auto with ac. Little bigger cam than stock. I have a 391 gear now 8 .75 741 case... Seems like I always need gas. looking for a good gear to cruise or drive down the Highway.
Thanks .

70chall440

Reaction score
Well the gears certainly are not helping but these were never 20 mpg cars (usually) and given your engine/cam situation you are probably not going to get a whole lot better.

That said, I'd go with 3.55s, they are my favorite usually. Good low end but not horrible for the highway.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There is so much to this .
Where does the cam start to make power , what converter lock up speed do you have ?
If the converter is unlocked at normal cruising speed you will make a lot of extra heat in the trans from slippage .
Use an online calculator to make sure the change puts you into the range you want

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Personally I like the 3:23 gear with stock tire size. Drove to navy bases about 275 mile,on just less then a tank of gas.I would have about a 1/8 tank left as long as I didn't kick in the four barrel. four barrel would kick in on some grades running 60-65+. It amazed me how the thermo quad performed. I had a 68 and 67 mustang that would pass any thing but a gas station.same trip four tanks of gas.high lift cam 650 dbl pumper 302 auto

Attachments

• Gear Ratio Calculator.png
    Gear Ratio Calculator.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 115

Big J

Reaction score
There is so much to this .
Where does the cam start to make power , what converter lock up speed do you have ?
If the converter is unlocked at normal cruising speed you will make a lot of extra heat in the trans from slippage .
Use an online calculator to make sure the change puts you into the range you want
Thank you for this update.

Big J

Reaction score
Personally I like the 3:23 gear with stock tire size. Drove to navy bases about 275 mile,on just less then a tank of gas.I would have about a 1/8 tank left as long as I didn't kick in the four barrel. four barrel would kick in on some grades running 60-65+. It amazed me how the thermo quad performed. I had a 68 and 67 mustang that would pass any thing but a gas station.same trip four tanks of gas.high lift cam 650 dbl pumper 302 auto

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would fill up at start of trip squeeze in 16-18 gal,fill tube filled. Drive the dead of night and cool. 90% highway and turnpike I would get 15-17 mpg lucky if I got 18. stock 340 4spd 3:23 G 60 15. I Know the 71 thermo quad was different then 72 and up, if that made a difference?

Last edited:

Racer Dave

Reaction score
All this talk about gearing but you're overlooking the obvious - get a bigger fuel tank! 😁😁

As was said earlier, these cars never got good - or even decent - mileage compared to modern cars. Have you considered an overdrive? They're pretty expensive and it might take a long time before the fuel savings offset the cost - except here in California where an overdrive costs about the same as a couple tanks of gas :BangHead: A higher (lower numerically) gear ratio might help a little, but you sacrifice performance. I just look at it like this: being able to drive a muscle car gives a sense of gratification that you just can't get any other way, so I'm willing to pay the price.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
All this talk about gearing but you're overlooking the obvious - get a bigger fuel tank! 😁😁

As was said earlier, these cars never got good - or even decent - mileage compared to modern cars. Have you considered an overdrive? They're pretty expensive and it might take a long time before the fuel savings offset the cost - except here in California where an overdrive costs about the same as a couple tanks of gas :BangHead: A higher (lower numerically) gear ratio might help a little, but you sacrifice performance. I just look at it like this: being able to drive a muscle car gives a sense of gratification that you just can't get any other way, so I'm willing to pay the price.
That’s what I like about having 5th in mine. It’s a Tremec, best of both. Has 3.91 gears. Launches in first like 4.88’s and fifth is .64 to 1. The downfall is the price. I’d still say it’s the best upgrade I’ve ever done to muscle car.

Back