• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Getting ready to start 72 Challenger project

72Cuda340

Reaction score
I like 72's... already have a finished 72 Cuda, now for the Challenger. Unlike the Cuda, the Challenger started out life as some Grandma's 318 72 Rallye, (Side scoop delete on fender tag, "JS23" Rallye though), in the coveted light gold color (GAG!!!), with gold interior, no console, auto on the steering column. The original 318 was long gone, and while it has little to no rust, it was missing enough things that I'm going to do this one the way I want it. Got a late 1972 440 for it, 727 auto floor console shift, gonna be a totally new black interior with Just Dashes doing the rallye dash. The color is going to be Dodge Intense Blue, with silver metallic hood stripe and 71 style RT side stripes with 440 instead of RT painted on, also in silver metallic. Been getting parts together for a while, now it's almost time to begin. I'll update photos if anyone is interested.

004.jpg

006.jpg

Peterson Dodge Show 2015.jpg

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If you do the Dodge half as nice as the Plymouth it'll be stunning! Of course we'll want to see more pics and progress reports.

72Cuda340

Reaction score
If you do the Dodge half as nice as the Plymouth it'll be stunning! Of course we'll want to see more pics and progress reports.
Thanks!!!! I'll post photos as we go. Here's another couple of the Cuda, came out great... and no... I am not capable of doing this without LOTS of help from friends :)

2015 Roadster Show 1.jpg

2015 Roadster Show 2.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Ah yes, it's good to have friends like that. I have some great friends that I can count on for many different restoration related tasks. As much as I'd like to be able to do it all myself there's just no way.

Donny

Reaction score
If you did it all yourself the complete product would be sub-par. Farm this or that task out to experts. I tell everyone that's the way to do it. Like when Joe Blow decides to do his own upholstery...like LOL!! I've been working next to the best trim shop for the last 11 yrs and I now know good from not good upholstery. And, when idiots go to show their self-taught and do it yourself stuff, I just laugh, I mean recognize your skill set, boundaries, and make sure the car is done correctly.

72Cuda340

Reaction score
Alas life has gotten in the way....probably wont do this project. Probably have $25k invested in car, parts, media blast etc....down to a nice primer shell currently...and a garage full of nos and other new parts, 69 440 machine work done.... just the block...$4700 brand new dash work from just dashes...seats redone black... now trying to decide if i should try to sell the project...yes i know i wont break even $.... Or just store it all until i get a chance to have it all finished. Just thought id update since members were nice enough to comment on status.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, sounds like the work you had done was top notch. I would say store it and finish it at a later date but it's up to you. The cuda looks awesome btw!

Back