• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Has anyone used HURST 67520000 with a TKO?

Not Jonathan

Reaction score
Hi there everybody,

I've been combatting a driveline vibration for awhile now. A previous owner of my 73 Challenger installed the (then) Keisler TKO kit. The crossmember in that kit is a very tight fit with the tremec tko, as the bulk of it sits further in front of the stock crossmember location. For that reason, I am considering trying out the HURST 67520000 crossmember to gain more clearance to the transmission. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about that crossmember? It definitely seems like Silver Sport has vastly improved the old Keisler tech; I swapped in their hydraulics kit and throwout bearing and it works/fits beautifully compared to what was in there before. I'm hoping that ditching the old crossmember will help with some of my problems (angle, trans hitting crossmember). Thanks!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have not tried using the Hurst crossmember although I did do a couple of the TKO Keisler swaps& yes they fit tight & create bad angles .
The problem is there is good engineering done by Factories / Mopar to make sure things work properly just inserting a different trans with better [???] ratios doesn't solve all of the issues & creates other bad issues if everything is not engineered properly which Keisler never did creating a shorter driveshaft with bad angles , A double U joint/ CV joint at one end might go a long way to helping vibration such as what was used in W series Power wagons down to the front diff .
Matching the axle angle to the trans will help

Have you seen this video

Last edited:

tonysrt

Reaction score
On 50 plus year old cars phasing was a word nobody ever heard of, unless you were racing. With all the repairs and part changes, slim chance anything is in phase anymore. Good video but changes he made were very radical and I don't think anybody would be offset that much, hopefully.

Not Jonathan

Reaction score
I have not tried using the Hurst crossmember although I did do a couple of the TKO Keisler swaps& yes they fit tight & create bad angles .
The problem is there is good engineering done by Factories / Mopar to make sure things work properly just inserting a different trans with better [???] ratios doesn't solve all of the issues & creates other bad issues if everything is not engineered properly which Keisler never did creating a shorter driveshaft with bad angles , A double U joint/ CV joint at one end might go a long way to helping vibration such as what was used in W series Power wagons down to the front diff .
Matching the axle angle to the trans will help

Have you seen this video

Yeah, I'm hoping that because the Hurst part straddles the mounting location (where the torsion bars seat? can't remember off the top of my head) that the part won't interfere with the accessory mounting area on the TKO case. Then maybe I can shim if needed to correct the angle. The Keisler part being so far forward really causes problems. Right when I bought the car ~2.5 years ago there was no driveline vibration, but the trans would sometimes knock against the crossmember. Since then, I've fixed the sagging leaf springs and put just a barely taller trans mount in. Something about this combination has caused a vibration. Maybe I'm in need of some pinion angle shims, but I think the Hurst crossmember will be a better starting point.

One more thing to consider: would too low of a rear end ratio be a cause for concern or worsen vibrations that are already prone to happening? My rear end has 2.76 gears and I recently sized up to 295/60/15 tires. I'm in the market for 3.55 or 3.73 since I have the 5-speed but haven't gotten around to it yet. I appreciate the input!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It cannot be that far off if there was no vibe before changing the rear leafs , I suspect that shims would get you back to where the pinion is at the right angle . The video is radical to show the extreme of what happens but minor angle changes can still cause vibrations .
I would say the 2.76 gears would cause less vibration as the driveshaft is rotating slower than it will with 3.55 gearing .

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I fought this problem for years. Had a right up in Hot rod magazine on my car because of it. The cure was a aluminum drive shaft with a cvc joint instead of the ujoint at the trans. This will eliminate any angle issues according to the drive line shop that built it. They build nascar drive shafts I was told. Seems to be working well.

Back