• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Have installed a Promax on my center carburetor

Morgan

Reaction score
Help! I have a 512 with 9.5 in compression, 2.5 in vacuum at 1000 RPM,Have installed a Promax on my center carburetor. has 3.5 in extra valve and 70 in nozzle. Afr value of 1000rpm is 11.7-12.2.
when it is strangled, it shoots into the carburetor. Do you have any tips?
Sincerely, Morgan

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You need to have a 1" power valve to match the idle vacuum .
not sure what the rest of what you are asking , strangled ??

Morgan

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
you mean I should replace the power valve 3.5 to 1?
I have a size 70 in the middle carburetor so behind it it shoots in the carburetor, even when I give gas after I installed the Promax metering block.

Cancel in advance // Morgan

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes change the power valve to 1"
sounds like you may have the wrong gasket between the body & metering block

Morgan

Reaction score
Then I try to replace it, how do you mean the wrong gasket? I used the one that promax deliver with can I check it out somehow?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What is size 70 , the jets ?
where is fuel shooting into the carb ? it should shoot in through the squirter but nothing is size 70 in the accelerator pump circuit .

Morgan

Reaction score
The circled nozzles are the size 70 on.
Have a nice evening! // Morgan
InkedSixpack promax_LI.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
That is what I expected , post a picture of the other side of the metering block & the gasket you are using please

Morgan

Reaction score
T
20200512_163431.jpg
20200512_163438.jpg
aken picture on both sides, hope it will be right.
Sincerely, Morgan

Morgan

Reaction score
I will try to go down to 66, and change the power valve. I think the original on 440 is 62. Then mine is deleted to 512 and drilled 0.60 then maybe 64 will be thin. I feedback when I try. Sincerely, Morgan

Morgan

Reaction score
Hi. Have now put 66 in nozzle and 2.5 power valve, when I change the air screws there will be no reaction. Does not change the AFR meter or time. what could be the error

wedg2go

Reaction score
Morgan, turn both idle mixture screws in until they "LIGHTLY" bottom out. Does that cause the idle to change or stumble (does it kill the motor)? If it does, then turn each idle mixture screw out 1 1/2 turns and see if it changes from there by adjusting in or out each idle mixture screw. The key here is to keep both idle mixture screws balanced. In other words, what you do to one mixture screw you do to the other (but you probably already knew that :)).

Now for my two cents...You say in your first post that the vacuum is 2.5. You changed to a 2.5 power valve. I would say, if it still shows no results or change in idle after you give the idle screws another try (see first paragraph) then your power valve is affecting the idle. This shouldn't happen at all. The intent of the power valve is to add more fuel once it goes below that prescribed point when you open the throttle. The way it is setup now, your power valve will be dumping fuel in at an idle. 2.5 vacuum at idle = 2.5 power valve.

No disrespect to Chryco, but when he said, "Go to a 1" power valve" I went looking and came up with zip. In other words, if a 1" exist I sure can't find it? The man is a super wealth of knowledge when it comes to Mopars. However, I would say you do have one more option left. It isn't great when it comes to street, but think of using a power valve block (I would check with Promax first before doing this). What makes it unsuitable for the street is first having to run your main jets richer (I know- I know, you just changed them). Essentially, with a power valve block, you'll have two choices at the throttle. Idle and go like hell for this combo to work, but it should give you a clue IF you current 2.5 power valve is affecting the idle.

BTW - 2.5 at idle? That must be "One Cammed Bad Boy" you have there? I'm happy my 440 pulls 7! Whew!

One more BTW - Double check the metering block gasket to main body of the carburetor. I can't swear to it, but it might be upside down? Looking at the lower hole, just right of the power valve, in your photos. Needs to align with hole in metering block. Like I said...I can't swear to it...

Morgan

Reaction score
There will be no reaction when I screwed in the idle screws unfortunately :-(
Maybe I should go up the power valve to 5.5 then it needs the higher vacuum before it goes. Or am I thinking wrong there?
I'll check the gasket carefully.
Sincerely, Morgan

wedg2go

Reaction score
Going up to the higher numers, on power valves, is not the right direction! Your number needs to be less then 2.5. Here's a link that explains the use of power valves in a Holley carburetor.

Holley Power Valve Tuning - Holley Blog

The only other suggestion that I have, is to check for a vacuum leak or a blown power valve. That is another possibility that may exist with your problem.

Morgan

Reaction score
I switched to a brand new power valve. Unfortunately, with the same result. It's something I miss but what?

Morgan

Reaction score
It is level with the bottom edge of the hole for the level plug

Morgan

Reaction score
Reinstall original now, then it went better and can adjust the air screws. But it still goes too fat

Back