• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Having issues with installing new gears

JKCuda

Reaction score
So...I'm installing a Dr. Diff rear diff and 3.55 gears in my 741 case and I'm having a hell of a time with this pinion. Getting the depth and preload set has been a real PITA as it's the first time I'm doing this, but that's not really my problem. The problem is constantly having to tighten and remove the pinion nut is absolutely destroying the threads on the end of the pinion. Is this normal? I know these nuts are tighter at the end so they have some sort of locking tension it's to the point where I'm not comfortable continuing.

With that being said, I've tried a thread chaser which helped, but it's still not very optimal. I have a extra set of 3.73's here that I tried the nut on and I can hand thread it to about 1/8 of the end of the nut. On the bad one I can't get it any closer than about 1/2" by hand. Are re-tapping these threads viable or would that remove too much material to let the nut "lock" properly? Or should I start with a new ring and pinion again and buy a castle style nut with no taper to do the test fitting?

Any tips are appreciated...

JKCuda

Reaction score
Did you talk to Cass at Dr Diff? He seems to always have great customer service.
I bought all my stuff from him, but no I didn't reach out. I'm certain now after speaking to someone on another board that my own stupidity caused this, so you live and learn. Ordered new ring and pinion tonight from summit for about double the price because he's out of stock now for the 741.

moparlee

Reaction score
I bought all my stuff from him, but no I didn't reach out. I'm certain now after speaking to someone on another board that my own stupidity caused this, so you live and learn. Ordered new ring and pinion tonight from summit for about double the price because he's out of stock now for the 741.
I hear ya and I have done the same. We all learn from our mistakes and move on.

Back