• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Having problem with fuse blowing. Need help

MyR/T

Reaction score
Ok. First off I have all new harnesses from year one. As soon as I touch the battery cable to the battery the bottom fuse blows. It's marked c/lighter and tail lights. I checked it with a meter and it has 12.4 volts with the key off. I'm not sure what all this controls but my gas guage and dash lights don't work and the really weird thing is when I turn my wiper switch on my light bar comes on.... can someone please help. I don't even know where to start with this one. I did unplug the cigar lighter and it still blows fuses.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Unplug the tail light plug in the kick panel.then try it.Use a lower rated fuse.

E BODY ACC BATT ALT WIRES.jpg.jpeg

MyR/T

Reaction score
I unplugged the rear light harness and it quit blowing the fuse. I'll check the tailight sockets when I get a chance. Thanks. Any clue why my light bar would come on when I turn the wiper switch ?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I unplugged the rear light harness and it quit blowing the fuse. I'll check the tailight sockets when I get a chance. Thanks. Any clue why my light bar would come on when I turn the wiper switch ?
It's completing the ground? Does the heater control lamp do the same?

Last edited:

MyR/T

Reaction score
It doesn't come on at all. I'll see if I can figure out where it's grounded.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
It doesn't come on at all. I'll see if I can figure out where it's grounded.
It should be on the same circuit as the light bar. The diagram shows additional circuits. Stay with the first one for your trouble shooting. there are some differences year to year. in general the same.

Color Rallye Wiring 8-144 Barracuda.jpg

Color Rallye Wiring 8-145 Barracuda.jpg

Last edited:

MyR/T

Reaction score
Turns out the rear side marker lights didn't have a good ground and that's what was causing the fuse to keep blowing. How are the cluster lights grounded? Mine aren't working. Plus my light over the heater control only comes on when I turn the dimmer switch to where the dome light should come on. I'm sure most of this is probably grounding issues by any help would be appreciated. Thanls

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The light bar screws are the ground. Check the dash mounting bolts on the a pillar for rust.

Last edited:

MyR/T

Reaction score
Ok thanks. It's probably paint. It's pretty fresh off the rotisserie.

Back