• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

head gaskets

open headers

Reaction score
i have a 73 challenger 340. engine has 11k on it. i was in traffic last month, temp got to 220. just last week i got blue smoke out right side. brought it to engine builder he said i blew a head gasket. i diidnt think 220 was that hot

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
i have a 73 challenger 340. engine has 11k on it. i was in traffic last month, temp got to 220. just last week i got blue smoke out right side. brought it to engine builder he said i blew a head gasket. i diidnt think 220 was that hot
I guess I would not be concerned about the temp, I'd be concerned about smoke coming out the exhaust. I thought white smoke is typically water/coolant and blue smoke is oil. First and easiest thing to check is the PVC valve and all the other emissions stuff. Does it only smoke on start up, or all the time?

moparleo

Reaction score
220° on a steel head/block engine does not "blow" head gaskets. That is not an extreme temp. Most modern cars w/ aluminum heads runs temps that high and higher because of emissions.
Did engine start to run rough/misfire ?
A few quick checks for head gasket.
After engine has sat til cooled down. Pull dipstick. Looks milky...head gasket.
Pull oil filler cap, look at bottom. Looks milky...head gasket.
Pull radiator cap, look milky ? ...
If nothing after these checks, start pulling spark plugs and keep track of which hole they came out of. Check condition.
Do a compression test.

Blue smoke...oil.
Black smoke...gas/fuel rich.
White smoke (steam). water

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Good advice already posted. were the heads checked for cracks,milled,valve guides? worn or (dry or bad valve seal) valve guide will burn oil,then clear up,depending how badly worn. Do a compression check yourself. buy rent or borrow a compression gauge. their cheap.Cracked oil ring. Hope for best.

Last edited:

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Do you know the approximate compression ratio? 10-1 or 8.5-1? something else? Higher CR (like 10-1) should be running premium fuel (93)... so to avoid detonation... #1 killer of head gaskets.

moparleo

Reaction score
How does it run ? Smooth, rough ? Did you do the fluid checks listed ? Another simple test is called hydrocarbon fuild test. It is done through the top of the radiator.

Adam

Reaction score
Pull the plugs and look at them, might help with the diagnosis.

open headers

Reaction score
I guess I would not be concerned about the temp, I'd be concerned about smoke coming out the exhaust. I thought white smoke is typically water/coolant and blue smoke is oil. First and easiest thing to check is the PVC valve and all the other emissions stuff. Does it only smoke on start up, or all the time?
thanks brought it to engine builder.they pulled valve cover and that was all good. put air in cylinder and it was leaking. so hes pulling head to change the gasket. hes blaming the 220 temp. guess im getting a bill on this.

open headers

Reaction score
Good advice already posted. were the heads checked for cracks,milled,valve guides? worn or (dry or bad valve seal) valve guide will burn oil,then clear up,depending how badly worn. Do a compression check yourself. buy rent or borrow a compression gauge. their cheap.Cracked oil ring. Hope for best.
engine was total tear down. reids automotive. brought it to him, he says its a head gasket.only 11k for miles

moparleo

Reaction score
Not for a 220 °. that is not an overheat. Most modern engine run at/near this temperature for emissions reasons.
Is your gauge accurate? How long did you run it at this temp and was it under load ( towing or going up hill) or just flat road ? It wouldn't happen weeks after the minor heat up. Sounds like someone is trying to pass the blame...
Ask for all the parts that are replaced, legally they are yours.
Sometimes part get replaced that are not needed and you have no way to verify what was exactly done to your car.
Asking for the parts helps keep people honest.

• If an engine rises above 240 °F, the head gasket and cooling system could both be pushed beyond their normal limits. If the engine soars past 260 °F, the impact is almost inevitable. Another factor that can lead to gasket failure is low-grade fuel, which is often responsible for excess pressure on the cylinder head.

Last edited:
Back