• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

head leak

michael bucklew

Reaction score
was going to attempt to start my "71 318... was rebuilt several years ago and mounted in the car....has been setting static for about 3 years.. developed a water leak on the left head,front upper top side. right head appears to be ok....drained water, removed head, looked for any distortion on gasket--none-- to be seen. other weirdness--head gasket was very oily or had oil on it....heads were rebuilt my a reputable shop--new valve guides and 3 angle valve job....block was decked years ago an first rebuild, heads are 360, milled 30 thousands 202 intake 160 exhaust. ran heads on car about 5 years before parking car. disassembled motor in the mid 90,s, they sat on shelf for a good 10 years before starting car restore. consulting with several other mechanics, they suggested to have the head magma-fluxed.....did i missed something on the torque sequence or could it have been a defective head gasket????taking head to shop on the 19th to get checked-----

tonysrt

Reaction score
The exhaust manifold studs go into water so make sure it isn't them. I know you said top but under pressure they could piss all over. That's why it's a good idea to have a Radiator pressure tester, to make sure no leaks before you put water in the system.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
my crystal ball battery has died , no replacement ...
could be anything from a porous freeze plug , folded head gasket , or gasket flaw , exhaust studs , cracked head , I would have pressurized the system & diagnosed it carefully before pulling the head .

70chall440

Reaction score
Hard to diagnose via the internet especially without pictures. Possibilities are many (crack/s, leaking exhaust stud, blown gasket/s, etc.). At this point you need to see what the machine shop says, if the head is good then put it all back together and pressure test it.

Back