• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

head liner bows

michael bucklew

Reaction score
old HL was a 4 bow system. got new liner from classes--5 bow--. using oem front bows tight against insulation[put in roof insulation] but when pulled to attache to front clips it rotates and will not stay in place[no clip in roof]. front bow tight, second bow tight----going to third from front loose, 4th from front somewhat tight against roof......ordered new set of bows from classic tried all of them for fit same results. there is one 1 bow that is longer than the car is wide where does this go. also have a set of bow retainers or anchor tension wires, which was not in the original HL . had a upholstery shop try to put in liner he is also perplexed...any help will be greatly appreciated, holding up project..........m. bucklew-----this is a 71 challenger, bows go into holes along the edge of roof

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
The bow does not need to be tight to the roof, in fact I don’t think it should touch it. Working back to front, the rear bow is held from rotating forward by the wires above the back window and fabric spikes. The rear bow and fabric keeps the next bow from rotating forward, and so on, towards the front. The front bow is held in both directions in this way..

Thank you Leo; listing wires.... I couldn’t remember their name.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
If original headliner was a 4 bow, why are you trying to install a 5 bow ?? Adam is correct in that you start at the rear and work your way forward. The listing wires hold the rear bow from going forward.

headliner bows.jpg

HEADLINER BOW WIRE.jpg

michael bucklew

Reaction score
The bow does not need to be tight to the roof, in fact I don’t think it should touch it. Working back to front, the rear bow is held from rotating forward by the wires above the back window and fabric spikes. The rear bow and fabric keeps the next bow from rotating forward, and so on, towards the front. The front bow is held in both directions in this way..

Thank you Leo; listing wires.... I couldn’t remember their name.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
got correct bows in place--but--5th bow held in place by bow retainer wires..bow hangs down quite a bit. should rear bow be higher up towards roof

Back