• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

header headaches

miles

Reaction score
i have a 71 challenger E body i think...set of summitt headers.. drag link is not going to work help in deciding if there is a new draglink or can i possibly replace the pitman arm

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I failed to buy TTI headers - my bad. So my Hedman headers require you to disconnect the drag link next to the driver side wheel, and then turn the passenger wheel enough so you can install the driver side header. Then turn the passenger wheel to push the drag link thru the gap in the header tubes. Reconnect drag link.

If the Summit headers do not work that way because they hit something, return them. Bite the bullet and buy TTI. Seriously, best way to move forward!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have never understood why small block headers need to go under the steering link when big block never do ,
There are 3 types of header that stay above the steering link , TTI , Dougs & Hooker 5115 , why use anything else ?

miles

Reaction score
i have a 71 challenger E body i think...set of summitt headers.. drag link is not going to work help in deciding if there is a new draglink or can i possibly replace the pitman arm
Correction to my post. 71 Challenger but I have the Hedman headers (from Summit). I see what you are talking about with the drag link. Did you have to bend or dent the headers where this comes across. I will do this tomorrow night but from inspection it looks like the stud will drag the top of the header pipe. Worried about the stud catching the headers. TIA

miles

Reaction score
I have never understood why small block headers need to go under the steering link when big block never do ,
There are 3 types of header that stay above the steering link , TTI , Dougs & Hooker 5115 , why use anything else ?
First time header user. Lesson being learned

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Cost and availability were the deciding factors for the ceramic coated ones in my case. I didn't think (should stop here) that the routing issue would be a big deal. WRONG!

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Correction to my post. 71 Challenger but I have the Hedman headers (from Summit). I see what you are talking about with the drag link. Did you have to bend or dent the headers where this comes across. I will do this tomorrow night but from inspection it looks like the stud will drag the top of the header pipe. Worried about the stud catching the headers. TIA
Just went back and looked at your posts, didn't see engine call out. I have a 340 small block with Edelbrock aluminum heads. Nothing hits or rubs. Headers were unmolested.

miles

Reaction score
Just went back and looked at your posts, didn't see engine call out. I have a 340 small block with Edelbrock aluminum heads. Nothing hits or rubs. Headers were unmolested.
318 standard block and heads. Changed to Edlebrock alum intake and Edlebrock 4bbl 650 carb, little more than stock comp cam, and added the Hedman headers. Has the 904A tranny in good condition. Looking at changing rearend to a limited slip for posi… any suggestions????Have the same in a 79 Trans Am and it runs well. Wanting to make the Challenger a better than stock cruiser that I hope will sound and run good.

Back