• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Headers and starters

Odin

Reaction score
OK so I picked up some Hedman headers for my 71 challenger with a 69 440 in it. I was convinced by members in another forum that I should install a mini starter from a 90s Dakota when I install the headers. I was bored and surfing the web today and came across a couple of articles indicating the mini starters out of the 90s Dakotas will not allow clearance for Hedman headers in B and E bodies. Other than telling me to buy TTI or Doug’s headers, what other input does everyone have? It would be great to hear from someone who is been in the same situation with the same or similar parts and compare notes.
Should I stick with the full-size starter or get the mini from a 90s Dakota and take a chance?

Adam

Reaction score
I have Hedman headers on my 440, with a mini starter. The header just touches the starter, use some heat sheild/wrap. Also, regular and copper gaskets leaked, I had to use Remflex.

A492B76E-A0CD-4554-A095-44C9C107105B.jpeg

Odin

Reaction score
I have Hedman headers on my 440, with a mini starter. The header just touches the starter, use some heat sheild/wrap. Also, regular and copper gaskets leaked, I had to use Remflex.

View attachment 48545
Thanks Adam. I already ordered Remflex gaskets. I picked up a Remy 17274 starter from the local parts store. It’s the one that fits 96-98 Dakotas with 318s and (cross references with 17677) 99-03 Dakotas with 360s. Supposedly it’ll fit all 318/340/360/383/440 if you believe all the other guys on the Mopar group sites.

quapman

Reaction score
There are two versions of the mini starter, a short one and a longer one. Sorry, I don't have part #s handy.

What's not to believe? Yes, these starters fit any/all old Mopar engines. I haven't had a clunker starter in any car for the last 15 years. Just don't get the one with the one big stud and one clip on connector. Those are for later 90s trucks, I believe. My 99 has one.

Odin

Reaction score
There are two versions of the mini starter, a short one and a longer one. Sorry, I don't have part #s handy.

What's not to believe? Yes, these starters fit any/all old Mopar engines. I haven't had a clunker starter in any car for the last 15 years. Just don't get the one with the one big stud and one clip on connector. Those are for later 90s trucks, I believe. My 99 has one.
The starter I picked up has two studs. I did see the one with the single stud and plug connector and chose not to get that one. Thanks again for the info.

Gísli Sveinsson

Reaction score
I did have the same issue at time when installing my Hedman headers on my 383 motor,had to make small dent.
And I used 2 felpro 1414 gasket on that flange,trouble free allways since.

Thanks.Gísli

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
My old full size starter couldn't take the heat from my headman headers (383cid) even with using header wrap, and denting the one header tube. At most I got 10-15 starts out of it before she would die/cook. Had it rebuild twice with the same results. Switched to a high torque mini starter (i forget the brand) and haven't had any issues since (16years going). Also ended up getting bigger hooker headers (crematic coated).

Odin

Reaction score
I swapped the smaller Dakota starter for the stock starter. Its 2 inches shorter but sticks out from the block about the same distance as the stock one. Im hoping to try mounting the headers next week

Odin

Reaction score
I had my buddy install the headers at his shop today. He had to remove the starter to get the driver side header in then install the starter again. It’s tight but he didn’t have to disconnect the motor mount(s). Two tubes just touch the steering box, one just touches the heat shield on the small starter Solenoid, one touches the torsion bar. None of the tubes had to be dented to finish the install. I drove it 15 miles (slowly) with open headers to the shop where the exhaust will be built and installed Tuesday. It will be 2.5 inch with X crossover, 14 inch Magnaflow turbo mufflers, no resonators, and stainless “Challenger style” quad tips in the valence cutouts.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I bought a Powermaster mini. Fit great on my small block hemi with tti headers. I did though have to rotate the housing for it (very simple to do on the starter itself) to keep the rubber grommit from hitting my header pipe. Starts my 392 perfectly Even with 11.5:1 compression.

Odin

Reaction score
OK so the headers are in. The mini starter is in. Two pipes touch the power steering box. One pipe touches the heat blanket I wrapped around the starter. And one pipe touches the torsion bar. The clearance under the car is great compared to what I thought it would be. I had the custom exhaust built yesterday. Even though I switched from Factory manifolds and 2 1/4 inch pipes, it is quieter now that I have headers and 2 1/2 inch pipes with 14 inch magnaflow turbo 11225 mufflers. I am really surprised that it is quieter after the new install.

AB3F4A83-6BB7-4962-8492-78C54C0CDBC2.jpeg

6AC32ECC-923A-4283-AB36-C73ECBA42315.jpeg

1AB9354B-21B1-4607-A2F9-57B80902CE48.jpeg

077483A3-0446-418D-8981-2C56CDD75666.jpeg

6BCD7A5C-2DD6-43BC-A59F-27BB7C5C1009.jpeg

Back