• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heater Core Replacement for A/C Car going to Non-A/C

scottylack

Reaction score
I have a cuda thats equipped with air. Im not going to run the air anymore and have removed all the parts. I want to restore the heater box and keep using it. First thing I want to replace the heater core...should I buy an a/c or non a/c heater core? I dont want to really do any mods that cant be brought back easily...thanks

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Buy the one that is exactly like the one your taking out. That way all the ports line up. And when you wanna be "cool" again you'll not have to worry about one part of the puzzle.

71droptop

Reaction score
Hi- That's exactly what Im doing. I don't want all that plumbing in the way.
Whats your plan for the A/C ports coming thru the firewall.

aussiemark

Reaction score
You can get a under hood kit from Classic Auto Air that uses a rotary style compressor this will be more compact and allow for higher rpm so you could keep the air conditioner and be more comfortable in the hotter months they useless power to operate as well.

Rich G.

Reaction score
If you want to sell the 2 hoses coming off the compressor I’d be interested if you’re not using them or going with a newer setup.

71droptop

Reaction score
Rich- hi. send me a PM. with an offer.
Ill send you pics. May have NOS valve for A/C set up.
Ill check
Let me know what you think
Anything 71 Challenger??????
914-523-5858

aussiemark

Reaction score
I will eventually get in touch with Classic Auto Air to check if their complete kit with the rotary style compressor will clear the 440-6 air cleaner I have a feeling it will, I remember seeing a photo of a Hemi Challenger with this type of compressor.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Mark there is a dealer NOS under dash unit on ebay in e-body parts if you want to spend that sort of money for authenticity

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Just get a factory A/C heater core and replace it. It'll work just fine and allow you to add the A/C back later on

BcudaChris

Reaction score
To do a rotary compressor, Bouchillon has a bracket and if you source the condenser, compressor, hoses, dryer, etc. yourself (fleabay and amazon in my case). You can buy barrier hose and ends and plumb everything with more convenient routing. I have everything routed down the passenger side so the compressor can just be moved out of the way to get to the front of the engine or pull the intake.

I didn't do it, but you can also get barrier hose with a significantly smaller OD for the same ID and save space. An AC shop crimped the hoses for me, then I took it to them for evac/recharge. Running ice cold for about $300 cash. Probably 20 hours of labor on my end, including rebuilding the box with new seals. I had my evap and heater cores cleaned and pressure tested as well. My switch, all the control lines and dashpots were good as well, just cleaned and tested.

Back