• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heater Motor removal

[email protected]

Reaction score
Can any one help with how to remove the heater fan from my 70 cuda no AC. I am getting power to the fan but its not working. I was told its quite a job if any one has done it or has a diagram to show how to remove it it will help GREATLY thanks

74 challenger

Reaction score
is the fan located on the engine side? I have a 74 challenger and its on the engine side.If so its 3 nuts and out.

Moparparts

Reaction score
You may want to check your resistor in the box under the dash before you replace the blower motor. I do have good used correct date coded blower motors, squirrel cages, resistors and even correct date coded heater cores if you need any of those just PM me. If you need to remove the box first you would need to drain your coolant and carefully remove the hoses on the firewall. Then you need to remove the control cables under the dash from the box and unplug the wiring there also. Then you can remove the fire wall retaining nuts. Go back inside next under the dash and at this time is is good to have an extra hand to help hold the unit while you remove the small J-Bolt that holds the box to the cowl plenum opening. Once the J-Bolt is removed the box assembly will come out. Be careful to keep it tilted up as much as possible so the coolant that remains in the box core does not spill onto your carpet. Remove the clips/nuts that hold the blower motor and metal support to the box. Then you need to remove the center clamp that holds the squirrel cage to the motor and you can remove the 3 nuts that hold the motor to the metal plate. At this time while things are apart you may want to consider taking the core from the box and have it cleaned and tested at a radiator shop. If i where you i would also buy a new firewall/box gasket set at this time while it is out. I do have a complete new firewall gasket set here in stock which includes gaskets for the box to firewall mounting

burdar

Reaction score
On A/C cars, the blower motor is removed from inside the engine comp. Three nuts and it's out. NON A/C cars require removal of the entire heater box in order to gain access to the motor.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ha thank you for all the information it went just as you said. Is there some kind of spacer that goes between the lower heater housing and the defroster duck. I have about a 1" space and i can't find any way to adjust the heater or defroster.
thanks greg

burdar

Reaction score
NO, that's how they were. Some say it was just a crappy fit from the factory. Others say it's supposed to be that way so some interior air is drawn in. It's hard to believe that big of a gap was just a mistake. I think it's there for a reason.

Moparparts

Reaction score
X 2 for a non A/C system they had that gap there but i have seen A/C applications on some other models with a section of light foam at Duct to box junctions

Back