• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello From Colorado

Runner_68

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Some of you may know me from B Bodies and A Bodies. This is my first time on E Bodies.

We are in search of a, in particular, a 70 Cuda / Barracuda to build a full race car out of. We found one locally but I need some expert input.
I understand the difference between the Cuda and Barracuda but this one perplexes me. It is obvious it is a Barracuda from the VIN but it came with a 383. I was under the impression that only the Cud's came with big blocks, maybe not. Also, this car has a factory tach on the hood. Is that possible or did someone replace the hood?

Below is what I found on the VIN/Fender Tag decode. Any input is appreciated.

De-Code.jpg

Runner_68

Reaction score
Is it even remotely possible that they came with the tach on the hood? Not that I'm doubting you. I guess Hagerty told him it was 1 of 1900 or something like that. Would sure hate to turn it into a race car if it is that rare.

moparleo

Reaction score
Any big block Barracuda is worth money today. Even the 383- 2 bbl. model that you have. Chop up a Camaro, not a Mopar....
Factory hood tach....no such animal. Added on. Only tach on E-body would be with the Rally Gauge package.

Runner_68

Reaction score
Any big block Barracuda is worth money today. Even the 383- 2 bbl. model that you have. Chop up a Camaro, not a Mopar....
Factory hood tach....no such animal. Added on. Only tach on E-body would be with the Rally Gauge package.
Interesting Thanks Leo. I wonder where that hood came from them. Tell me about the prices these days. I've seen bare bones clapped out shells go for over $20K.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I have never seen a hood tach on any sales documentation.
Nor have I seen one in any mopar parts book.

Agree with moparleo. If the car has it's fender tag and numbers, let it go to a driver. Find a barracuda that has lost it's fender tag and provenance.
Not many BH L or N code cars out there.
However, it's your cash so build what you like out of what you like.

And please include us here with pictures and details.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
The best price alternative is to buy a 72-74 barracuda. Much lower prices and less collectible. Also there are more available at any given time.

Runner_68

Reaction score
Thanks for the intel guys. I agree. I haven't purchased it yet so only pictures of the VIN and Fender tag. I hate going into a guys shop that I don't know and start snapping a bunch of pics.
There is a reason we're looking for a 70 that I won't bother with.

Runner_68

Reaction score
I asked the owner to shoot me a pic of the hood tach. It's in a dank old shed off the car and he's somewhat disabled. Stay tuned. He said it was a dealer option for that's worth.
These are the only overall pics I have that he sent when I initially found out about this car. Dressed like a race car but essentially stock. No motor in it. All there. Numbers matching block and 8 3/4 but no tranny.

barracuda_1.jpgbarracuda_2-Black.jpgbarracuda_3.jpg

Runner_68

Reaction score
I asked the owner to shoot me a pic of the hood tach. It's in a dank old shed off the car and he's somewhat disabled. Stay tuned. He said it was a dealer option for that's worth.
These are the only overall pics I have that he sent when I initially found out about this car. Dressed like a race car but essentially stock. No motor in it. All there. Numbers matching block and 8 3/4 but no tranny.

View attachment 97802View attachment 97803View attachment 97804
If it matters he had all the **** cleared off of it when we took a look at it.
Here is the best pic he could get of the hood tach. No scoops obviously. Any input is appreciated.

Hood_Tach.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Mopar did sell tachs back in the day. (Direct Connection or Hustle Stuff) They had marginal accuracy and are pretty rare today in good shape.

7905777F-7360-4A9F-B3A4-35C4517BA2C0.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
Probably a dealer accessory. If so, should have the logo somewhere on it.
Not available when ordering a car to my knowledge.
Pic from FABO

CFDECF22-F643-4CEA-9DD2-10DD2C89374A.png

Runner_68

Reaction score
What the hell is with the clown face love you long time "like" over here Joey? Fix that **** if you can. Makes me feel a little gay for posting a thanks.

Thank you gentlemen, this helps.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
That's funny. I made a post about that gay ass loving thanks. But apparently there are gays advocating for it here.

I've tried to find one of those dealer or day two tach's and they are pretty difficult to find. And a shiny penny at that.

The barracuda looks great! Perfect for a race car. (with exception of my own bias of it having a fender tag) Looks like that would work great for a race car.
Are you going to tub it?

Runner_68

Reaction score
That's funny. I made a post about that gay ass loving thanks. But apparently there are gays advocating for it here.
[/URL]

I've tried to find one of those dealer or day two tach's and they are pretty difficult to find. And a shiny penny at that.

The barracuda looks great! Perfect for a race car. (with exception of my own bias of it having a fender tag) Looks like that would work great for a race car.
Are you going to tub it?
Thanks. Tubs, cage, full monty. However I decided it's not the one to cut up. I handed it off to a friend who will put it back to original. The hunt continues. Believe me, I know they're hard to find. Something will turn up.

Back