• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from Farmington, New Mexico

70RTSE440

Reaction score
Greetings fellow E-body lovers (lovers because it's valentines day). Ever since I saw Vanishing Point in like 1971 I had to have a challenger. So when I graduated from high school in 1975 I bought one that was owned by a 66 year old friend of my sisters who bought it new. He said it was too powerful for him, he liked his 6 cyl mustang better LOL. I paid NADA retail book value for it in the summer of 1975, $1700.00. I've had it ever since. It was my daily driver from 1975 till 1982 when I got married, graduated from college, and had my first child. In '79 I got hit by a drunk that caved in the right rear quarter panel but I got an insurance check and used it to repaint the car blue. At the same time I took the 440 out and put a 383 in as a temporary motor till I could rebuild the 440. that was almost 40 years ago. I haven't done much to it since! Raising a family has a way of keeping you from spending money on a car. I've kept it in a garage most of the time, moving from Albuquerque to Oklahoma City, to Farmington, NM, to Durango, CO, and back to Farmington during that time. Well now that the kids are grown and I've got a little pocket change, it's time to restore it to it's previous glory. Aside from the paint job and the motor change in '79, it's basically all original. I did change the wheels to 15" ralley wheels but the interior, vinyl roof, and the suspension are all original. So I need to replace the interior seat covers, carpet, head liner. Put the 440 back in. And repaint it back to Plum Crazy! So I was surfing the web looking for info on seats and carpets and stumbled upon this website. I'll be mining info out of here from all of you until the restoration is complete. Does it ever really get complete? Anyway, here's some pictures of the car including a couple from 1975 when it was plum crazy purple with wire spoke hubcaps because its a special edition.
IMG_2847.jpg
IMG_2848.jpg
IMG_1036.jpg
IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg
IMG_2840.jpg

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! So it’s a real R/T-S/E 4spd car? It looks great in blue over black with the white top.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, so awesome you kept her and traveled with you like a family member. Keep us updated on the resto

Oh , love those "back in the day "pics

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Great story about your car, glad you were able to keep it all those years. Do you have the build sheet?

70RTSE440

Reaction score
It's a real RT/SE 440 4BBl 4 spd with a dayna 60 4:10 rear end. I swapped out the 4:10's for 4:55's back in the late 70's. I never did any drag racing with it and I wanted the higher gears for highway driving. It's got power front disc brakes, rear drums, no A/C, no power steering. One of the things I plan on doing to it right away is adding power steering. I'm going to get the Borgeson steering gear box from Bergman Auto Craft with Bergman's coupler, pump, pulleys, hoses, etc. I do not have the build sheet for the car. Anyone know where you can get them? Anyone installed the Borgeson power steering gear?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
Really great that you kept the car all this time.
RT SE 440 4 speed is a pretty rare car.
They only made 400 of them.
Glad you finally have the time to start to work on it.
Good idea to add the power steering. Tougher to do without as you get older.
Dino2 (1).gif

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Your build sheet would be under your rear seats, under your front seats, in backs of both front seats, in rear seat back, behind/on top glove box.
I've heard of one coming from under the trunk mat and one from between the gas tank and the trunk and under carpet. No proof on those though.

72chally440

Reaction score
Welcome and have fun. There are a lot of great restoration threads to choose from here and members with great knowledge. Also good source for some of the parts. Good luck and have fun.

Back