• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from NJ with a 72' Challenger

Moose34

Reaction score
Hello from NJ!

Hi everyone I received purchased my first mopar.

1972 Dodge Challenger w/ 318

My neighbor owned it since 1985 and was in the process of restoring it before he passed. His family didn't want it so I bought it.
It came with replacement quarter panels, everything to rebuild the engine with a 4 barrel Holley Carb, radiator, headers, new gas tank, and a s.s. magna flow exhaust.

My goal is to get this thing running on the current engine setup. Got the engine to turn over, but looks like there's a hole in the gas tank - not sure what the best method is to clean out the fuel lines too? Might buy a cheap Carter 2 rebuild kit for the heck of it.

One of my concerns is the roof rust, as I'm not sure what is typically done to correct this. Are there patch in parts I can buy? Does everyone typically put vinyl back on top?
The interior looks really good in my opinion.
My end goal is to have a decent classic I can drive around town and open it up every now and then. Definitely trying to stay on a low budget.
Other than that, from my non experienced point of view I think I'm in pretty good shape, but open to suggestions.

Thanks all and look forward to meeting and interacting with everyone.

20220912_170614.jpg

20220912_170618.jpg

20220912_170624.jpg

20220912_170644.jpg

20220912_170656.jpg

20220912_170700.jpg

20220912_170719.jpg

20220912_170731.jpg

20220910_132752.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. My challenger came from Tom's River. Address the roof area first.Pull trim you may see more. Lot of knowledgeable member here.
welcome to febo.jpeg

Last edited:

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. Small world, my brother must be one of your neighbors as well - he took a look at the car a few weeks back. You may see him around in a light green '70 R/T Challenger.

As far as the roof goes, there are new full replacement roof skins available in the $500 range, or you could possibly search out a used donor. Looks like you'll need the dutchman panel that goes below the rear windshield too. Typical rust for a NJ car with a vinyl top. Going forward I would just leave it off myself.

Moose34

Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. Small world, my brother must be one of your neighbors as well - he took a look at the car a few weeks back. You may see him around in a light green '70 R/T Challenger.

As far as the roof goes, there are new full replacement roof skins available in the $500 range, or you could possibly search out a used donor. Looks like you'll need the dutchman panel that goes below the rear windshield too. Typical rust for a NJ car with a vinyl top. Going forward I would just leave it

As far as the roof goes, there are new full replacement roof skins available in the $500 range, or you could possibly search out a used donor. Looks like you'll need the dutchman panel that goes below the rear windshield too. Typical rust for a NJ car with a vinyl top. Going forward I would just leave it off myself.
Wow it really is a small world! I'll keep a lookout for his car. Appreciate the information. Found a roof skin replacement on classic industries. Doesn't look like the easiet project to remove and replace but definitely doable.

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Cool Challenger. Keep the CB and antenna, white walls, and dog dish caps!

Moose34

Reaction score

Actually saw your brothers light green challenger on rt 79 the other day! Ha pretty sure I've met him on his bike in my neighborhood before. Gotta catch up with him one of these days when we see each other.

Back