• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from San Angelo, TX

70 Challenge

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
Just wanted to say hello to everyone, hope you all are doing well! I have a 1970 Dodge Challenger 318 3-speed base. Mechanically, it runs great and drives great, but it has A LOT of rust, the entire floor pan and trunk pan need to be replaced, someday! I am just happy that it is roadworthy now. One thing that has happened just recently is that it does not start by turning the key ignition switch. I put the key in the ignition, then I turn it as I always have done, pressing the clutch, and nothing happens! There is not even a typical clicking sound if the battery was dead when I turn the ignition. On the dash, the oil light dims as I turn the ignition. At first, I thought is was a dead battery or else a bad alternator, but those both check out fine. I tried boosting the car as well as charging the battery with an electric charger. I then replaced the starter relay, and it still did the same thing. I overrode the starter relay, and the car starts fine, no problems with the starter. I am starting to get really frustrated, and I admittedly am not very talented in the automotive electrical realm, can anyone please help me, I would super appreciate it!!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Could be your ignition switch but this would be a good time to check all your connections through the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. Show us some pics of that Challenger man.

Agree with Matt - checking bulkhead connections for corrosion would be a good place to start.

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Great to have you here.
The other members are on target; the bulkhead connections are a weak point for our cars.

Here is a good article on the topic;
Vintage Chrysler electrical repairs and updates
Dino2 (2).gif

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. If you don't have one already, A factory service manual is mandatory to repair/service your car. Available on line. A car with a totally rusty/rusted floor pan is not really road worthy. Caron monoxide fumes in the passenger compartment, road debris that could fly up through the floor boards etc... Get her safe and work on the electrics. Contact cleaner, cooper brushes, Dielectric grease. Clean and seal all connections. Take special care to make GOOD ground connections every where.

70 Challenge

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Could be your ignition switch but this would be a good time to check all your connections through the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

Thanks for the kind welcome, hope you are doing well in the Motor City! Thanks for the advice, I will check the switch as well as all connections.

70 Challenge

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. If you don't have one already, A factory service manual is mandatory to repair/service your car. Available on line. A car with a totally rusty/rusted floor pan is not really road worthy. Caron monoxide fumes in the passenger compartment, road debris that could fly up through the floor boards etc... Get her safe and work on the electrics. Contact cleaner, cooper brushes, Dielectric grease. Clean and seal all connections. Take special care to make GOOD ground connections every where.
Thanks for the welcome and the great advice!

70 Challenge

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. Show us some pics of that Challenger man.

Agree with Matt - checking bulkhead connections for corrosion would be a good place to start.
Thanks for the welcome and advice from NW CT, I will be sure to check the bulkhead connections!

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from mid Michigan. Hope you get your electrical gremlins sorted out.

Back