• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello, looking for a basic Cuda

dbones

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm Matt. I'm from Western PA, and I have always been a GM guy. But I really like the 70-74 barracuda body style, and I've set aside enough scratch to get one, finally.

I'm thinking that if I want some performance, and I don't want to spend every dime I have, then I could look for a 318 or slant 6 car, and then drop in a 3rd gen hemi at some point.

What I don't know is what trouble spots to look for. Any help with ideas on that would be appreciated.

I know GM G bodys pretty well. I did a lot of work on those -- what I would call mid-level difficulty. No engine or rear end work, but most other stuff, including some body.

Any thoughts or pointers about E body Barracudas would be appreciated .

I know now isn't a tremendously affordable time to buy one of these, but as I said, I really like the look, and it seems like the 3rd gen hemi can be made to rip with some aftermarket controllers.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome & good luck in the search . Slant 6 is tough , you will need everything , upgraded diff , suspension , different K frame , Better to start with a V8 car .

rklein71

Reaction score
Finding a Barracuda without rust is like the holy grail right now. Plan on new trunk and quarters for any project car you might find. What is your initial budget?

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! I remember seeing a Cuda for the first time,
when I was just a kid. I was hooked for life. You can find one!

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
563D7179-554D-486C-A05F-7E8DD905F7E7.jpeg

Flat-Tappet

Reaction score
Hey Matt,
welcome to the site- I’m new here myself. Wishing you “Happy hunting” for a good car to start with.

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Matt,
Welcome over from the dark side..😉
Good news: I bought my 71 Cuda in western PA, Greensburg to be precise.
Bad news: I acquired it 30 years ago...

Quiny

Reaction score
Good luck, I was looking for years. I finally found one and in process of restoration. So far I have had to replace floors, quarters, rockers, roof skin, fenders, etc... I will be doing the same, dropping a gen 3 hemi in. So far I'm $20k in and only have a shell complete. Nothing is cheap and most times not available. This site is a great resource, really helpful people.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Frame rails, frame rails, frame rails - front and back. My rear ones looked solid, not rotted through but I was able to squeeze them with my fingers. The fronts became worse over time. I've eventually replaced everything since 1979 except the front floors, somehow they survived. Happy fishing

Oh and welcome aboard too.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Matt, welcome to the site from Michigan!
Take your time, you will find your Barracuda.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO. Good luck on you fishing expedition. Put a little chum out there.fords chevy's or other. someone here my know what works best.
welcome to febo.jpeg

RCodeCuda

Reaction score
There's a 74 in the for sale section.
Yep! Look at Hank’s 74 Chally #s matching 4 speed car plus a TON of parts for only $15k but the price is only good for this weekend! Nice resto project but no where near a basket case. You really can’t lose any money for what you are getting at that price plus Hank is a stand up member of this community. And no, I don’t get a commission for the sale!

😆😆😆

Last edited:

dbones

Reaction score
Finding a Barracuda without rust is like the holy grail right now. Plan on new trunk and quarters for any project car you might find. What is your initial budget?
I can probably swing $30k-$40k for the car, and then another $10k for the swap. I think it could be done.

budascuda

Reaction score
Hey Matt, don't pass up on a Baracuda just because it's a slant six. That's just crazy talk!
In fact, regardless of what you need to change from /6 to v8 , you can possibly end up with a car that structurally, never got distorted on the account of too heavy an engine , too much horse power or too much racing (for half a century!)
As you may know, E bodies are Uni bodies and they are lite.
Also, what ever your budget is, be prepared to put a couple bucks more On top of it so you can end up with something good.
Good luck

themechanic

Reaction score
Good luck, I was looking for years. I finally found one and in process of restoration. So far I have had to replace floors, quarters, rockers, roof skin, fenders, etc... I will be doing the same, dropping a gen 3 hemi in. So far I'm $20k in and only have a shell complete. Nothing is cheap and most times not available. This site is a great resource, really helpful people.
You can buy a complete new shell for that now.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Hey Matt, don't pass up on a Baracuda just because it's a slant six. That's just crazy talk!
In fact, regardless of what you need to change from /6 to v8 , you can possibly end up with a car that structurally, never got distorted on the account of too heavy an engine , too much horse power or too much racing (for half a century!)
As you may know, E bodies are Uni bodies and they are lite.
Also, what ever your budget is, be prepared to put a couple bucks more On top of it so you can end up with something good.
Good luck
Who said six? Long story short.two of us were applying for a job. about mid 75. They told us from the get go that there only hiring one.After the interview we talk for about an hr,wondering what was taking so long.They came out and said they had a hard time deciding who to hire,they liked us both.they hired both of us.After they were done with us we talked some more and decided to get a place together. I had my challenger and all 3 types of 6 paks. He had his 6 banger Duster and built like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
or I should say Arnold wants be built like him. We
spent a lot of time in it with a gallon of wine (Spanada)
,6 packs and always a few girls. We would get a flat tire we would pick up the front of the Duster and the girls would change the tire. I should say I was the jack stand.Between working and have fun we didn't have time to change the brakes.we drove it using the parking brake to stop for months. We decide to change the brakes when we both had to open the door and each use a foot to stop the car from hitting the apartment. 😬 Do you think we had one to many! :rofl:What a fun ride 6 banger runs forever. 2 oddities in our favor. We rented from the chief of police.they liked us. 2nd a decade later we found out we were cousins by marriage. 6 banger one of the funest ride! I would never pass one up! Just my experience.

Last edited:
Back