• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi Swap help in LA area

SFEbody

Reaction score
Hey all, so my car will be painted this week, ( engine bay and inside ) I then will be ready to install my 5.7 and am wondering if there are any Mopar guys in Los Angeles area that have done this and are willing to come give some advice. I am honest enough to say I am having anxiety about it. Never done any mods like this. OEM, i got it, but this level I am starting to panic. PM me if you are generous enough to devote a few hours of on site advice.

Brian

Adam

Reaction score
I would, but moved to Washington State. I think we used to be neighbors. I lived near the top of Whites Canyon Rd….

hpjunke

Reaction score
Ask away ive done a 6.1 swap on my 73 . I did a write up on how i did as well in this section

heminut

Reaction score
I'm not in LA, but I swapped a 5.7 into my 70 Cuda about 14 years ago. I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

RICO

Reaction score
HELLO BRIAN WHERE DO YOU LIVE IN L.A.

RICO

Reaction score
UPLAND GOOD YOU WILL BE ONLY 5 MILE FROM ME!!!! LOOK ME UP WHEN YOU GET INTO RANCHO...I ALSO HAVE SOME PARTS YOU MAY NEED

frank4651

Reaction score
I'm not in LA, but I swapped a 5.7 into my 70 Cuda about 14 years ago. I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.
Hi. I just purchased a 1970 Barracuda convertible with a 6 cylinder engine. I want to swap it out for a hemi. I am basically a beginer. Can you recommend any book or manual that will show me what I need to accomplish this?

SFEbody

Reaction score
On Amazon.

IMG_0464.png

pschlosser

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your convertible purchase. I drove a very beat up convertible 318 for a few years and still remember it fondly (on warm days.)

We'd love to see some pictures, and also the fender tag and vin plate, just for fun.

Others can recommend books, but I don't recall seeing any with step-by-step, "how make a hemicuda convertible."

Your job will be to learn what parts you need to replace, and then, go out and find them, looking on epay, craigslist, swap meets, internet forums like this one. And for many, this process brings a great deal of joy. :)

frank4651

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am an older guy (72) who decided to build his dream car. I need all the help I can get. At present the car is a 6 cylinder. I am not sure if I need to change the K frame and whatever needs to be re-do the front suspension etc

13.jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
At present the car is a 6 cylinder. I am not sure if I need to change the K frame and whatever needs to be re-do the front suspension etc.

That is a nice looking ride.

Using OEM correct parts, everything will bolt into place nice and neat. Yes, the Hemi has unique mounts on the K-frame, and the correct K-frame has a skid plate to protect the oil pan some.

Some parts ONLY came on a car with a Hemi, but there are not too many of those types of parts. Many of the parts you will replace (presuming you stay OEM) also came on 383 and 440 cars, which helps with availability and cost.

I enjoy my restorations because they're like a big puzzle, with parts to find, issues to correct. It is great fun.

frank4651

Reaction score
Thank you. I feel exactly the same way about this being a puzzle to solve. What I plan to do is start gathering all the parts over the summer and then attempting the swap next winter.

heminut

Reaction score
Using OEM correct parts, everything will bolt into place nice and neat. Yes, the Hemi has unique mounts on the K-frame, and the correct K-frame has a skid plate to protect the oil pan some.

Some parts ONLY came on a car with a Hemi, but there are not too many of those types of parts. Many of the parts you will replace (presuming you stay OEM) also came on 383 and 440 cars, which helps with availability and cost.
That is correct info for the 426 Hemi but I think he is doing a Gen. III Hemi swap, which has nothing in common with the 426 Hemi. Totally different swap that doesn't use any parts for the 426 Hemi.

hpjunke

Reaction score
Check my write up on my Hemi swap in my Challenger in the New Hemi Swap Section lots of small details in there that i threw in

RICO

Reaction score
Brian this is Mike in Upland i know of a Mopar shop in Covina that will put your engine in for you ...you have my number give me a call..

Back