• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hey guys, have a question about a 71 challenger R/T JS vin

Bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Wonder what your opinion on a restored JS vin 340 4 speed car #'s matching R/T would be valued at? I know not much info but the car is in decent shape some interior stuff missing minor.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Next, will be documentation as in fender tag, build sheet, or any original dealer paperwork. You say decent shape. It is original colors, etc.? What all needs done to it?

Last edited:

Bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Yeah I know, but I'm hesitant to give up too much because it's at a dealer near me and I don't want anyone going there and buying out from under me :)

Here is a pic, and the vin and other info. I do not believe it to be the original color the question has been ask as well as how old it is. I'm sure if you Google it you will find out where it is being offered at, I am no means an expert that's why I came here to you guys who are for help. You can find me over at bbodies hanging out. Just for some reason I have fallen for this car and want it it bad.

And let me re phrase the interior is worse than I thought, not stupid bad but cluster will have to be rebuilt at leas some of it and radio is gone etc. It's got headers not original manifolds which is ok but was hoping for all original engine parts. Missing spare tire but trunk looks good. Updated orange box ignition cant tell about six pack its covered by air cleaner. Carpet is worn, door panels need replacing, other interior hard pats etc.

Screw it here's the link to it. Pick it apart but is it worth $39k? I 'm thinking real close but you guys tell me?

http://www.specialtysales.com/car.php?carnum=4310#gallery

4310_p01.gif

Year: 1971
Challenger

Odometer: 53063

Engine: 340 V8

Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
Exterior Color: Metallic Blue

Interior Color: Black

Vin: JS23H1B312349

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
It has new paint and upholstery, tires, caps and rings. Looks to be in good condition as much as we can see. If you are interested in buying the car You should ask to have the car inspected by a neutral mechanic/garage. Get the car up in the air and look underneath very closely for obvious damage and rust. That is your worst enemy.
Looks nice , but buyer beware of new paint jobs. Could be bondo or rust lurking underneath the pretty paint.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would say no. It is a nice car. I know 71 340 RT's are rare but I think you can find one cheaper. In my opinion, it is overpriced by $10,000 to $15,000.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hey Jim, welcome to FEBO from the Motor City! That car is beautiful in that color combo. I can see why you want it but I agree that its way overpriced by at least 10K.

MOPARMITCH

Reaction score
Hey JB, I'm also over at FBBO as 68Chicken. I dont know if this helps, but I just bought a 70 Cuda 383 4spd numbers car for 10K but....It needs to be reassembled and re powered, interior, mechanical s, etc.and paint. But no rust ever.Hope that helps.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I think a numbers matching restored 71 R/T 340 4speed car has got to be worth 30-40. Someone here just said a 70 Barracuda non original number basket case was worth 10-15. This car is restored, start adding up parts. I'm going to have north of 80 in my car. Plus the dealer is asking 39 so I'm sure there is room to move some. This all being on how nice a restoration was done. My 2 cents for what its worth. Have it inspected like Leo said

Bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
What do you guys make of the things I saw as broken or not done? Interior not as much of a hassle to do but parts add up. Still doing my 69 RR havethee headliner still and some under dash stuff to finish.

I did notice the gril emeblem and the gas cap looked uptouched, so I am wondering how long ago this resto was doen or if they just never finnished?

What would be a good offer $$? $25k? I was thinking aroud $27k how far off am I? $10-15k off $39k

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Have you been under the car. Do you know if it is a solid car or does it have body filler? See if you can get it on a lift and look at it. Look inside the holes that are on the rear frame rails. How rusty are they on the inside where no one thinks to paint or hide? Look at the rail around the spring perch area. You will see a seam in that area. It is the first to rust. Also look at the rails where they have the V part that attaches to the rear where the bumper mounts. Do they have clean crisp edges or are they rough like they were rusty at one time. That should give you a general idea of how the car was before it was restored. Unless they replaced the rails. You can look at the front rails the same way. The front drivers side is normally the first to go. It goes bad under the battery tray. They have factory holes you can look into also.

DA4AD

Reaction score
Specialty sales classics is just in it for the money on a quick flip.
I bought my Dart Sport 340 from Califonia. The person I bought it from had it at the Benica showroom on consignment for $19,900.00. I kept scouring the Internet and months later and found the original owner and bought it for considerably less (2/3 the price).
Keep looking you may find that car listed on other sites.

Back