• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

High Pressure Power Steering Hose

money pit

Reaction score
I transplanted a 1974 360 in my 70 barracuda. I got a saginaw power steering pump for it (previous pump missing). For the life of me I can't find the correct high pressure hose. The steering box has a male fitting and the pump has a female fitting. I tried using 1970 and 74 to search for the hose. I already tried 2 hoses. Does anyone have a part number for the correct hose? This is the last item I need to find before I can finally drive the car. Thanks

Steve340

Reaction score
Post a picture of your steering box. You may be missing an adaptor fitting that screws in to the steering box.

money pit

Reaction score
Post a picture of your steering box. You may be missing an adaptor fitting that screws in to the steering box.
Here is a picture of the steering box. This was originally a slant six with a Federal pump.

power steering.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
You do have the fitting. But you may need to swap it. The Federal pump I swapped on my car used a smaller pipe than the Saginaw pump.
I swapped the fitting in the steering box to a JIC hydraulic fitting and used the standard Saginaw hose.
Mega Parts list the standard looking fitting but not sure which size it is.

money pit

Reaction score
You do have the fitting. But you may need to swap it. The Federal pump I swapped on my car used a smaller pipe than the Saginaw pump.
I swapped the fitting in the steering box to a JIC hydraulic fitting and used the standard Saginaw hose.
Mega Parts list the standard looking fitting but not sure which size it is.
I tried to loosen the fitting on the steering box but it won't budge. The fittings on the hoses I tried fit, it's the routing of the hose I'm having a problem with. I may need to go to a army navy type of flexible hose. Thanks for your response.

Adam

Reaction score
NAPA, and other places, can make you a hose with the correct fittings, but it may not appear factory correct.

money pit

Reaction score
NAPA, and other places, can make you a hose with the correct fittings, but it may not appear factory correct.
I'm really surprised I can't find the correct hose. Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Billshemi

Reaction score
I transplanted a 1974 360 in my 70 barracuda. I got a saginaw power steering pump for it (previous pump missing). For the life of me I can't find the correct high pressure hose. The steering box has a male fitting and the pump has a female fitting. I tried using 1970 and 74 to search for the hose. I already tried 2 hoses. Does anyone have a part number for the correct hose? This is the last item I need to find before I can finally drive the car. Thanks
Dose your pump fitting take o ring or flair

quapman

Reaction score
Post a pic of the hose you have. I'll try to find some of one installed.

money pit

Reaction score
Post a pic of the hose you have. I'll try to find some of one installed.
The problem I have, when I bought the engine it didn't have a PS pump. When I bought the pump it didn't have a high pressure hose. I looked at a number of hoses, nothing fit. The car is a 70, the engine is a 74. The 74 has a double male flare. I need a female flare on the steering box and a male flare on the pump side. The 70 hose has all kinds of bends on the pump side which makes it hard to install. Thanks.

quapman

Reaction score
The nipple on the box can be removed to use the later style hose. I think the small and big block 70 hoses have been combined into one part number for the type of fitting you have on the box now.
You might try searching for part numbers at Rock Auto, then cross reference with your local store or favorite online supplier.

One more super important question: What type of pump do you have? The Saginaw pump will be easiest to find hoses for.

money pit

Reaction score
The nipple on the box can be removed to use the later style hose. I think the small and big block 70 hoses have been combined into one part number for the type of fitting you have on the box now.
You might try searching for part numbers at Rock Auto, then cross reference with your local store or favorite online supplier.

One more super important question: What type of pump do you have? The Saginaw pump will be easiest to find hoses for.
I tried removing the the fitting on the steering box. I couldn't loosen it. I tried cross referencing on a number of sites. I have a Saginaw pump.

money pit

Reaction score
"It" being whom?
Sorry. When I clicked on the link you sent, I entered the vehicle info. The feedback said the hose won't fit. Do you think a Federal pump was standard on a 70 Barracuda? That's what was on it with the slant six. The Saginaw I got from Tony's mopar parts.

quapman

Reaction score
I think Federal pumps were the norm on 70 vehicles, yes. They are about impossible to find these days, so you're way better off with the Saginaw. Sometimes you have to cheat a little when entering vehicle info in order to get a part that fits as opposed to a part that is "correct".

money pit

Reaction score
I think Federal pumps were the norm on 70 vehicles, yes. They are about impossible to find these days, so you're way better off with the Saginaw. Sometimes you have to cheat a little when entering vehicle info in order to get a part that fits as opposed to a part that is "correct".
I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find a hose. When I went to the auto parts store we looked at all the hoses available. I also did an online search. I found a hose that I had to bend the heck out of it in order to fit. If I need another hose, I may need to make one. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back