• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Holley carb base gasket

Paul D.

Reaction score
Hello again. It's been so long since I built the engine for my car (70 Barracuda 340 engine) or I've even worked on it I'm not sure anymore of some of the whys and wherefores of some of the things I did building it. I am currently working on trying to get it running again so I can move it indoors and start working on making it roadworthy again. I pulled my carb and rebuilt it and I'm getting ready to reinstall it. It's a Holley 780 with vacuum secondaries and my intake is an Edelbrock performer dual plane. The base gasket that was on it is a four hole gasket and the gasket needs to be replaced. The gasket that came with the rebuild kit is a one hole. I also have a three hole gasket. Does it make any difference which base gasket is used? If I use the three hole would the large hole go under the primary or the secondary side. Or should I buy another four hole gasket like I had on it?

I have decided to go ahead and buy a new 4 hole same as what it had but would still be interested if anyone has an answer to what the differences (if any) in air/fuel flow would be with the different gasket configurations.

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
I like to use the thicker type of gasket to insulate the carb from the manifold heat this helps stop the fuel from boiling off when the engine is switched off and makes it easier to restart because you don't have to wait for the carb bowls to refill.

Back